Types of water during changes? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Types of water during changes?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it is.

I've read online that you can use distilled water instead of tap water during a partial water change. I just wanted to see if what I read online is true.

If it is do I need to treat the distilled water with dechlorinator like I would tap water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefnikole View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it is.

I've read online that you can use distilled water instead of tap water during a partial water change. I just wanted to see if what I read online is true.

If it is do I need to treat the distilled water with dechlorinator like I would tap water?
You can, but its not really needed for most set-ups. Its far more important if you are doing saltwater or trying to maintain very specific water conditions for breeding difficult fish. Actually, it will be easier and cheaper to not use distilled water 99% of the time because its "free" out of the tap and will help maintain more stable conditions.

No. If you use distilled water, you do not need to chlorinate it. However, if you are using it as part of water changes, you will need to add minerals back into it. Pure water is not good for the fish or plants.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you very much. I was just mostly worried it would mess with the ph of my tank. But I think since I don't have to do a 50% change this time it won't. (I had a staghorn algae problem). It made my ph rise when I put that much tap water (treated of course) back in it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Algae Grower

Stef,

Where do you live? Do you know what's in your tap? Is it city or well water?

Best thing to do is find that out from you city, typically via google. Then confirm with some test kits (even borrowed ones or ask your LFS). Then, if you're lucky, use your tap. If you're not, then you need to worry about RO or DI.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

To figure this out, test the tap water and the tank for:
GH
KH
pH
TDS.

If the tap water has the same mineral levels (GH, KH, TDS) and just the pH is different then it is probably just fine to do water changes. Fish react to the changing mineral levels worse than changing pH.
If the tap and tank do not have the same mineral levels then lets figure out what is going on.

Last edited by Diana; 04-03-2014 at 11:42 PM. Reason: *

Tags
10 gallon tank, newbie, newbie questions, water change

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode