General advice/critique - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
General advice/critique

Hello!

I have been lurking around for advice for a while now. I finally have my tank set up and planted and cycling.

Tank info:
-54 gallon corner bowfront - 23 inches deep
-Rena Filstar XP3 filter
-Finnex Ray 2 30" light strip across the midpoint of the tank with a clip on shop light in the back corner with one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QZF7JA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which I know needs to be upgraded, but I already had them laying around
-Floramax substrate with black diamond sand cap with DIY osmocote+ root tabs
-The lights are on about 9 hours a day, but I just bought a timer so I can adjust this
-Dosing PPS-Pro ferts 5ccs of macro & micro daily plus excel
-water is medium hardness, pH 7.4-7.6
-No fish yet, but I plan on doing cories, honey gourami, and a couple of large schools of something like rasboraas
-plants: amazon sword, ruffled sword, anubias, java fern, several crypts, ludwigia, water sprite, anacharis, water wisteria, joshua plant, aponogeton crispus...and something else I think I'm forgetting.

Everything is growing - some of it very well and very profusely. The But the swords are developing some brown spots. My research seems to indicate an iron deficiency (not enough in the root tabs/ferts?), so I just put some Flourish Iron in my amazon cart. I do know the swords were grown in water and not emmersed. The aponogeton crispus also appears to be melting, and I'm considering just removing it and planting something else in its spot. Everything else is good, and some of the taller growing plants are even growing in some reddish color. I will try to get some pictures of the swords - some if the brown is diatoms/brown algae (I'm not clear on how you tell which it is), but some of it is definitely the leaves actually going brown.

I also have some whitish hairish looking algae growing on the large driftwood, which I understand is normal? There is a little bit of brown algae patches also on the sword and anubias leaves.

So my questions are - is my lighting adequate? I tried to do my research when I bought the light, and it seemed to be a good fit for a deep tank. And the ludwigia (which may be the highest lights-need plant I have?) is growing like mad. I also have some plant ledges/shelves, and I'm thinking of building up a little hill in the back corner to plant the large sword that's back there - it's currently in a large pot (with substrate and root tabs) because I knew I would want to move it around at some point. Am I on the right track with ferts, dosing, etc?

I have been looking into a CO2 system, but I'm not there yet.

Pictures - one week ago:

This morning - you can see a lot of growth! Ignore that stupid rogue anubias in the front. It keeps coming free from the driftwood and landing in that spot. The ludwigia is actually starting to grow out of the tank, so I'm going to relocate it to have more growing room and then take some cuttings once it reaches the surface again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I hate to see a topic go most all day without any response. I'm not going to be too much help but I might comment on more light. I would think you have plenty for time being. If one gets too much light without adding CO2 and/or ferts, one can get too much quite easily. No mayor problems and things going at least somewhat right? Steady as she goes and let it settle in a bit more so that you have a better idea before springing for the big expense of more lighting. I feel it is one area we read/talk too much about when we don't bring the other two up as well.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks so much for the response. I imagine a lot of this will be trial-and-error. No matter how much research you do, it doesn't exactly give you your own experience. I ordered some flourish iron, pruned some of the worst leaves from the amazon sword that seems to be struggling, and I removed the aponogeton and replaced it with more water sprite, which I have about 12 tons of. I also noticed that the sword has spun off 2 little baby plants! That's got to be kind of a good sign.

I guess time will tell how all the plants will do with my current setup. Good thing there are wonderful forums like this with helpful people to guide me along the way!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode