No fish - Re cycle? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
No fish - Re cycle?

So I emptied my tank and changed the gravel 5 days ago. It's been just plants until my puffer shows up tomorrow. Will the nitrifying bacteria still be ok? I'm worried my tank might cycle again and cause stress on the puffer. Any thoughts? Tank was heavily stocked and cycle before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If the filter material did not dry out it likely will still have enough bacteria for just one fish. Also were those plants in the tank before you did the re sub ? They hold bacteria also if so.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yep all the plants were in there and the filters were only unplugged for 5 hours or so. Here's hopin all is well. The puffer gets here today!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Algae Grower

Was the filter a canister? If it was it might have gone anaerobic. I'd be afraid to restart a canister after 5 hrs.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yah they both are.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I'd be worried you colony will not be too strong after 5 days without ammonia (via fish, rotting food, or pure ammonia dosing) they need their food too. Keep a close eye on ammonia and nitrite and be ready to do a several partial w/c if there's anything above "0ppm"

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I'd be worried you colony will not be too strong after 5 days without ammonia (via fish, rotting food, or pure ammonia dosing) they need their food too. Keep a close eye on ammonia and nitrite and be ready to do a several partial w/c if there's anything above "0ppm"
Yah this is my big concern. It slipped my mind until last night. Kinda in panic mode now.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
In this case, I feel you will be good to go. Leaving the filter unplugged for five hours is questionable, though. When you restarted it, did you get a reall strong odor like sewer gas? That would indicate trouble, if not I would feel better about the bacteria. Since it was a fully functioning tank, there would be lots of bacteria spread all around the tank, not just in the filter. So if we assumed the bacteria in the filter was lost, you would still have lots of bacteria to support just one fish. For the bacteria, there is likely to be lots of decaying plant matter to let them not die back much, if at all on that count.
One fish is not a big bio-load! But when starting and when there are questions, it is always a good idea to test for ammonia and nitrite a bit more carefully than later.
Test, watch and have a water change ready if you do see trouble. Do it sooner rather than later. We sometimes see folks post that they have had a problem for several days and then they are asking what to do. Much better that you are asking now rather than when the fish begin to die.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's very reassuring, thank you. And nope no smell of anything when I restarted the filters.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nitrifying bacteria can survive for up to a year or longer starving. A good colony can go 4 months without any depreciation in numbers.

These aren't delicate little things. Their natural environment is very low in food and in oxygen as well. They can survive some very inhospitable conditions. A filter is a paradise to these microbes.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well he made it and has eaten about 10 blood worms and explored a lot. He's tiny, maybe 1" tops. Checked ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate. 10-20. Still been dosing ferts and co2, except no co2 today for less stress. My tank is definitely taking on a slight haze, I guess all new gravel will cause a bacteria bloom. Gonna keep a close eye on it.

Liveaquaria did a great job packing and shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	300626  

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	300634  

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	300642  

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Algae Grower

just to be safe, i would add a bottle of nitrifiying bacteria such as Tetra start. Stuff is amazing and takes the worry away.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode