is co2 worth it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
is co2 worth it?

I'm thinking about maybe adding c02 for my 32g tank and add more plants.

Now I see there's a lot of options from DIY (which I'm not too interested) to a complex fully automatic system (not my cup of tea either)

I'm looking at the fluval co2 88 kit or the Nutrafin A7690.

I want something user friendly (at least as user friendly as it can be...) that ideally wont take too much space (apartment living...)

What do you guys use? Should I just keep on adding Flourish? is the maintenance very expensive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
co2 is so worth it. those kits are probably less user friendly than buying a co2 tank and a finished regulator from someone on here. or even buying the regulator on ebay and buying a component kit from someone on here (which is what i did, twice)

i love me some co2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
The small kits offered by Fluval will work fine for small pico tanks but a 32g will have you changing cartridges every few days.... so the cost of operation will soon succeed the convenience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
The "worth" only you can answer. It is not a necessity. If you have not already tried using Excel or Metricide it might be easier to take the step up to using that before deciding if you want CO2.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would steer clear of the DIY or other low end CO2 methods you mentioned. IMO CO2 is something you should do right or don't bother. The alternatives can cause more problems then they're worth. If size is an issue use a regulator designed for a paintball tank. I've used one of the Fluval 88 systems. It's currently located somewhere in a landfill. Nuff said
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think co2 is totally worth it. I agree to get a nice regulator and at least a 5 lb tank. The start up cost can be a little expensive, but once you have all the equipment (tank, regulator, diffuser, etc.. ) the maintenance is very cheap. It costs me like $12 every 3 months or so to have my tank refilled.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hehe, ok so DIY it is Just need to find out more about the paintball system
thanks!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Algae Grower

I had that Nutrafin system and it was barely adequate for my 20gal. I got tired of refilling it after each week to avoid dropping CO2 levels that lead to staghorn algae. Not to mention replacing that horrible ladder system for an actual diffuser I didn't have to clean every few days. After a month I went to the Aquatech Mini paintball CO2 system. I know it's hit or miss with alot of folks, but it's worked well for me the last four months and my plants are looking great!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entomologist210 View Post
I had that Nutrafin system and it was barely adequate for my 20gal. I got tired of refilling it after each week to avoid dropping CO2 levels that lead to staghorn algae. Not to mention replacing that horrible ladder system for an actual diffuser I didn't have to clean every few days. After a month I went to the Aquatech Mini paintball CO2 system. I know it's hit or miss with alot of folks, but it's worked well for me the last four months and my plants are looking great!
I'd second this regarding the Nutrafin system. The cannister is great and prevents leaks, but at the same time, it is small in comparison to a 2 liter soda bottle. The ladder is huge, and at first, it looks pretty cool to see bubbles traveling up the ladder and getting smaller. The ladder works fine, but if you have snails, you'll never get a consistent level of CO2 dissolved in your tank because the snails like to eat biofilm or detritus that accumulates on the ladder. When they do, they often block the bubbles form traveling up the ladder. As a result, the bubbles never get to travel up the ladder and decrease in size. Instead, they clump together and get bigger and bigger until they bypass the snail altogether and rise up to the surface.

If you're going to do DIY, go with two 2L bottles so that you can swap out one bottle a week and keep your CO2 levels consistent. I'm still using my Nutrafin cannister for the time being, but I've switch to using a chopstick diffuser and hope to upgrade both the diffuser and the cannister (to two 2L bottles) sometime in the near future.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
I would steer clear of the DIY or other low end CO2 methods you mentioned. IMO CO2 is something you should do right or don't bother. The alternatives can cause more problems then they're worth. If size is an issue use a regulator designed for a paintball tank. I've used one of the Fluval 88 systems. It's currently located somewhere in a landfill. Nuff said

Care to elaborate? I've been running 2 diy systems with Zero issues other than refilling the bottles.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
The DIY setups typically cause varying CO2 levels. The injection rate is dependent on the CO2 production which makes it difficult to target a specific CO2 concentration. The other inexpensive systems don't have a regulated flow system. Instead, they rely solely on a valve leading to varying levels as well not to mention they are typically far more expensive to support.

I've tried DIY, Fluval's 88 gram and the paintball systems with valves and wasn't satisfied with any of them. Had I purchased a basic system to start with I would have saved enough to purchase an entry level system. Just my opinion of course but that is my experience with them. That's why I say do it right or use excel. It's just less expensive in the long run and saves a lot of aggravation.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Understood, I've had the exact opposite, the only time I have issues with my target level dropping is within the 24 hours or so before I switch the bottles out. Other than that I get a solid 15ppm co2 based off the ph/kh chart for 3 weeks at a time. I also have a sealed built system using brass parts. Thanks for the info.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 08:48 PM
Algae Grower

I got my co2 fire extinguisher for 24 on ebay,regulator,splitter and tubing from co2art and delivering to three tanks atm.it's 2kg cylinder only,refilling monthly for 15.all together about 150.good luck

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It all depends upon what your goals are. If you want to put the time and money into a hightech lush setup then it will be worth it.

I've successfully used DIY CO2 with a chopstick diffuser to build plant mass on a low tech higher light setup. Then when the plant mass got large enough I weaned off the CO2. It helps with the Inevitable algae bloom stage. The point where you have a bunch of little plants that are adjusting and starting to grow.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 03:07 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE V View Post
It all depends upon what your goals are.
This.

I personally like tanks that are as low maintenance as possible. Therefore I stick with low tech non-CO2 setups. The low maintenance for me is key to enjoying the hobby.

Other people love the constant growth and change and trimmings and wider variety of species that come with CO2 and higher light setups.

It's all about figuring out what works best for you.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode