Poll: How many first have you lost (died) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Poll: How many first have you lost (died)

a. 0
b. 1-2
c. 2-4
d. 5+

also please state how long you have been in the hobby, and any lessons learned.

I am new to keeping fish and so far all my fish are looking great, but I can't help but fear the worse. Just curious how many of you guys/gals have had fish die on you and why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Over the years the number of fish lost in no doubt in the 100's. I've been in the hobby about 45 years now. If you keep fish, you are going to loose some of them for various reasons. Some fish only live a year or two. Sometimes external events wipes out the entire tank. Sometimes you do something really stupid and kill off a lot of fish. In fact, in fact I don't know anyone that's been in the hobby for 5 years or so that hasn't lost the entire tank at one time or another.

As for lessons learned, I could right a book, but I'd say the best ones to learn are always get top quality equipment (This is NOT most expensive), don't believe anything a LFS tells you, especially in advanced aquarium systems, quality of tanks is better than quantity, one great tank verses several average ones.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I've been doing this for well over a decade, and I've lost many fish over that time. I can't come up with a number, because I don't keep track, but its more than a few. If you keep aquariums you will lose fish at some point. I've lost fish because of crappy water conditions, ich, putting fish together that weren't compatible, power outage's, broken heaters. The list goes on and on. What I've learned, have a water test kit, a quarantine tank, research before you buy, backup generator, and have two heaters. I would bet that most fish death is a result of operator error.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Probably in the 100s too, over 30+ years in the hobby. :/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
6 Month in the hobby.
I have lost 10+ fish and I have lost more fish in shipment
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 11:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've easily lost a dozen or so fish over the past 2-3 years. That's not counting the ones from "back in the day" when cycling was unheard of and hornwort was just about the only live plant anyone sold. There are reasons I didn't keep fish for several decades ... In any event, here are some lessons learned:

1. Learn about nitrifying bacteria, respect the cycle and do the necessary tank maintenance.

2. Bring fresh water up to tank temperature for water changes, or suffer the ich outbreak to come.

3. During water changes, keep a sharp eye on the end of the siphon and/or cover it with a piece of netting.

4. When doing a massive tank rescape, be kind. Move most of the water and all the fish, inverts out for a nice vacation in a well-aerated (and heated if necessary) "Hotel Rubbermaid" until the tank is settled and warm again.

5. Keep a hand over the net when transfering fish and inverts from one tank to another. The darned things wriggle, flip and jump, and it's sad to stare into a tank counting too few of something over and over again for 10 minutes only to look down and discover a drying body on the floor.

6. Study up on common ailments, causes and treatments. Try to buy likely meds or tank treatments in advance, and use them correctly and appropriately.

7. Decide on a humane method of fish euthanasia in advance. Do it the right thing for the fish.

The important thing is, when you lose a fish (or many), learn from it without giving up the hobby. We are all trying to create and maintain environments that we can never fully experience, and doing the best we can. And fish, like most other types of pets, live shorter lives than we do. Even if you did everything alsolutely perfectly, never made a mistake, never had someone or something out of your control go wrong ... still, keeping fish eventually means losing fish. It's what goes on between the getting and the losing that counts.

Hope this is helpful.

Deborah
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 12:12 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Number 3 and 4!
I guess thats why I had a ich outbreak that took weeks to cure xD
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I don't know if I could deal with that much loss, let alone one fish.

I have been doing non stop research and I feel I am very prepared. I still need to get some meds just to have.

One of my cardinals didn't wake up as quickly as the others and I thought he was dead. my heart almost broke.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 12:52 AM
Planted Member

I've been keeping fish for about 45 years so I don't know how many fish I've lost. It has to be quite a few, even if just from old age. I've never lost an entire tank of fish at once, although I almost did when my metal framed 29 gallon sprung a leak.

2 2.5s, 3 10s, 2 20s, 1 29. Low light, low tech. Ponds
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've lost tons of fish over the years and in some really weird ways. Much of it was due to not thinking ahead far enough or having the right plan. I lost 97 while taking them out of town due to ignorance. I wanted to be sure they didn't get cold! I've lost three tanks full from heaters sticking on. One lesson learned there. I never use the big heaters the charts recommend. I would rather use large tanks by far. They are much more forgiving of small things like heater failures. Don't try to ship fish at Christmas rush. Try to figure how to have water ready for emergency changes. Good water is your first line. Much better to keep the fish healthy than to try using meds to cure them. Much cheaper, too.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 03:43 AM
Planted Member

D. Amphibs and fish don't mix.

Don't put in a heater and immediately leave for 8 hours. Came home to 98 degree water and amazingly none of my fish appeared to have ill effects - other than being clustered in the corner as far from the heater as possible.

=LIC= (Large Inverts Club)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Algae Grower

4 years and had only lost a few until we went on holiday and had a mobile aquarist take care of the tank. Huge outbreak of what we think was columnaris and killed our entire tank. After a strip down, disinfect, air out and eventually a restock everything was awesome until an emergency sent me over seas again (2 years later) and brother inlaw (also has tanks) watched them and power outage killed my bloody tank again! (Power box blew and popped the heater and filter)

Having fish and tanks you will lose fish at some stage, just try to learn from what will prob be your mistakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

great advice guys thanks a bunch. Sorry for all your losses.

I am on day 4 using ATM Colony to accomplish a quick and safe cycle and so far so good. Nitrites are showing up now and I think shortly will see the Nitrites and ammonia disappear.

I currently have 2 gold rams and 13 cardinal tetras. I know both are said to be sensitive, and although I do believe that. My guys seem to be doing amazing!!

I don't plan to have a death for a good long while.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Been caring for fishes for nearly four decades and single handedly killed untold number's in my early year's by just buying fishes I liked, with little to no research on fishes need's with respect to water chemistry,compatability with other fishes,proper tank size,poor maint overall.
Happy to say that now day's,,most of the fish in my care die from old age.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/95%)
Wait until you lose a whole tank of rare shrimp or fish and then youll be a fish keeper lol. It will happen and continue to happen. Alot of small fish have short lifespans.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode