Leveling my tank - will this work? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ok...just got reading about a tank cracking because it wasn't level. I just purchased a new 90G Oceanic bowfront with the black laminate stand and ABS canopy...all of which will be sitting on carpet about 7" from the wall. Last night, after I got the tank hoisted onto the stand, I checked for level, comparing both N-S and E-W. I also measured from the wall at the bottom and top of the stand too (stand is 32" high). In that distance, I found a 1" lean away from the wall, so I shimmed underneath the bottom front of the stand using wooden paint sticks (it took 2 12"x1" strips stacked one on the other in three locations) until everything was plum.

My question is this. Given this monster will weigh in at around 1000 pounds, have I taken sufficient measures to create a level surface, or will I be putting undo loads on the stand and/or tank? Should I be concerned the wooden sticks I used to shim this thing will ever fail (can't imagine compression forces would smash them, but I'm no physics major). Given what I've provided, are there any suggestions how I might better pull this off?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Sorry folks....where I said I found a 1" lean in 32" length...that was 1/2" of lean...if it matters.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 06:51 AM

Without seeing it I can't say for sure. There should be essentially no gaps anywhere between the stand and the floor or the stand and the tank.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Well...I can't say there won't be any gaps between the floor and the stand, because the shims are at the front of the stand, though not visible. I have since shimmed the sides also, so there is essentially a "ring" of shims around the load bearing edges of the stand (two shims thick along the front, 1 shim thick along the sides). I'm assuming there isn't any significant horizontal load bearing on the bottom of the stand, but I can't be for sure...hence the main purpose for my question. As it is, the shims are directly below the vertical load bearing portions of the stand. There is NO gap between the aquarium and the stand, however, so I have no concerns there.

Fletch!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 07:21 AM

If you think the load bearing protion of the stand is supported I think you will be ok. It sounds good that you are using the step down method of thinner shims and thicker shims.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 05:44 PM

Pick some window/door shims at the home center ($2-$3). You can put them every few inches as the gap from stand to floor shrinks. Trim them with a utility knife.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode