New to CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to CO2

I picked up the nutrafin kit canister & ladder from my lfs.
http://www.aquariumguys.com/nutrafinco2.html
It's now in day 5 of operation...seems to send a co2 bubble out every 30-40 sec. I have it set to the highest position in the ladder (suggested for 20g). My tank is a 10g. It seems to be helping my plants grow...nothing miraculous but the plants lose less leaves than they used to daily. As the bubbles go up the ladder, they reduce to about 1/2 the size...

Is this a good rate for a 10g?

If I drop the tube down to the bottom, i assume more CO2 will be dissolved...is this dangerous? Many threads say it's fine b/c CO2 doesn't replace O2. My fluval 104 canister creates a lot of disturbance on the surface. If I lower the tube, will it accelerate plant growth?

Just on a funny note...Long friday at work before a long weekend. I was reading about people blowing into their nano tanks for CO2 and the discussion stated we don't exhale much CO2...barring the that blowing into tank doesn't allow much time for CO2 to dissolve...You could increase the amt of CO2 by holding your breath just before you pass out to increase your O2 consumption and increase the CO2 produced..hahaha...on another note if your drunk and you try this will the alcohol in your breath dissolve into the water and make your fish drunk? hmmmmm...something to think about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
It looks like you basically purchased an expensive DIY system. Those commercial systems just put it in a nicer, neater package. Honestly though, you would have better results and it'd be a whole lot cheaper if you just mix your own recipe with sugar, water and yeast.

In any case, the rate of your CO2 is not that great. I have a 10 gal. running a DIY yeast system with a hagen ladder. My bubbles run about 1 every 1-2 seconds. When my yeast mixture is at the end of its life (about 2 weeks after mixing), I get about 1 bubble every 10-15 seconds.

The tube should be at the lowest possible point in order to allow for the highest amount of CO2 to dissolve into the water. This is better for the plants. Depending on your fish, you may need to run an airstone or powerhead at night to oxygenate the water. This will also add more O2 to the water for your plants at night, as plants take in O2 at night.

During the day though, there should be very little if zero disturbance of the surface. The water should flow around, but the surface should not be breaking. Doing so is only releasing the CO2 that you worked so hard to put into the water.

If leaves were falling off your plants before, it is unlikely that the problem was CO2, unless the plants you chose are heavily reliant on CO2. Your problem probably lies in your lighting and ferts. I would fix that problem before going further with the CO2 as you might not even need CO2 if you are doing low light. If you're doing high light and your plant's leaves are falling off, there is a bigger problem there than CO2.

I have a 10 gal with DIY CO2. I have a 40W 10K/actinic bulb, which essentially means i get 20W of useful light over my tank. That's not much, so my tank would be considered low light. I don't really need to add CO2, but I did anyway and it seems to have improved my plants growth, but I also started adding ferts at the same time I added CO2, so I'm not 100% sure it was the CO2 or the ferts that improved the growth. In any case, if you really want to keep the CO2, I suggest doing a DIY yeast mixture. Your tubing should be at the lowest point and run an airstone or powerhead at night to break the water surface only if you notice your fish are gasping for air.

Good luck!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
i don't think diy/yeast style co2 can gen. enough co2 to be dangerous for any tank, i also have a hagen system, but mine is producing 1 bubble per 2 or so seconds... connect a check valve on it, give it a light shake or 2, it should help a bit...

10g planted pea puffer tank (Ceviche)
10g planted freshwater invert tank
map turtle (Tamago and Wasabi) (moved to a small pond)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
thanks guys..check valve going in this weekend...tube gonna be dropped to it's lowest position...i bought the can kit so i ain't returning it...but when i use my 3 mos supply up i'll probably switch to the DIY mixture....as far as surface disturbance my fluval 104 runs 24 hrs....no gasping fish...just gonna try boost the CO2 with a check valve and some shaking and lower my tubing....any other suggestions?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 07:50 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoro View Post
i don't think diy/yeast style co2 can gen. enough co2 to be dangerous for any tank, i also have a hagen system, but mine is producing 1 bubble per 2 or so seconds... connect a check valve on it, give it a light shake or 2, it should help a bit...
This is overkill for a 10g. I have a 3 liter bottle hooked up to my Hagen Ladder. It's spitting out bubbles like a Tommy Gun spits out bullets. The drop checker is lemon yellow unless I add some air bubbles.

EHEIM PIMP #164
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 07:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
I recommend a drop checker with 4 dKH water & pH indicator. That'll take the guess work out of the CO2 level. You can also do the pH/KH test and use the chart, but that isn't always accurate due to other buffers and acids that may be in the tank water.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 07:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimptempura View Post
thanks guys..check valve going in this weekend...tube gonna be dropped to it's lowest position...i bought the can kit so i ain't returning it...but when i use my 3 mos supply up i'll probably switch to the DIY mixture....as far as surface disturbance my fluval 104 runs 24 hrs....no gasping fish...just gonna try boost the CO2 with a check valve and some shaking and lower my tubing....any other suggestions?
Have you seen the thread about Hagen recipes? https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...2-recipes.html

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post
This is overkill for a 10g. I have a 3 liter bottle hooked up to my Hagen Ladder. It's spitting out bubbles like a Tommy Gun spits out bullets. The drop checker is lemon yellow unless I add some air bubbles.
hmm.. what i ment was a single hagen ladder setup just as it is...

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimptempura View Post
the check valve isn't ment for boosting of anything... its just there incase for some reason ur mix isn't producing any more co2, and it might suck out the water from ur tank...

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogoo View Post
...I have a 10 gal with DIY CO2. I have a 40W 10K/actinic bulb...
Your 40w PC bulb is a square pin Current bulb, isn't it?

If you decide to replace the saltwater bulb; here's what I using on my 10g. It's a 36w 8000K square pin bulb. It grows plants well and it makes things look good too.

It's advertised to have an extra green spike in it's color spectrum, but it doesn't make things look too green like Coralife's 6700K bulbs do.

EHEIM PIMP #164

VICTOR PIMP #1

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode