Super Small Pump - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Super Small Pump

I'm looking for a very small low pressure pump (all I need is a trickle). I'm thinking of a brilliant idea of making a tiny canister filter (about the size of my fist) and I need a pump for it. I now that they sell small filters that go inside of tanks but I'm going to be starting a Nano and I thought it would be a cleaver way to filter it. I don't know, what do you think?

BB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 03:18 AM

If it's going to be external, then I don't see why you need a tiny pump. You can hide your canister anywhere, and overfiltration is better than underfiltration. You might as well go with a bigger canister and bigger pump. Flow rate is another matter, you can adjust that by packing your canister with more media, trimming the impeller down, or with an inline ball valve.

Keep in mind that with centrifugal pumps, generally the low flow ones are the low pressure ones. Also keep in mind that the media is going to cut down on your flow rate significantly. I built a canister using a Rio 200, for instance, and while that pump is rated at 138 GPH at zero head, I was getting 30-40 GPH depending on how recently I'd cleaned it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thats a good idea, thanks.

BB

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode