Co2 question - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Seadon's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Manchester, nh
Posts: 453
Co2 question

Would adding carbonated water have any effect on useable co2 for plants?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seadon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 04:47 AM
Planted Member
 
MrSlumpy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 245
Yes it would, but unless you have a plant-only tank I wouldn't bother.

I once added one liter of water that I carbonated (using a Sodastream) into a 10 gallon tank with fish in it. This was a horrible idea. Essentially what I did was cause an immediate PH swing and all the fish immediately started gasping and swimming erratically. I quickly netted them all out into another tank and managed to save them all, but I would never repeat that experiment again.

Just get a pressurized (or maybe DIY) CO2 setup, unless you are only growing plants in the tank, in which case go nuts with the soda.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MrSlumpy is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto/Singapore
Posts: 11,643
I think Amano tried using carbonated water at some point.

Anthony


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Seadon's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Manchester, nh
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlumpy View Post
Yes it would, but unless you have a plant-only tank I wouldn't bother.

I once added one liter of water that I carbonated (using a Sodastream) into a 10 gallon tank with fish in it. This was a horrible idea. Essentially what I did was cause an immediate PH swing and all the fish immediately started gasping and swimming erratically. I quickly netted them all out into another tank and managed to save them all, but I would never repeat that experiment again.

Just get a pressurized (or maybe DIY) CO2 setup, unless you are only growing plants in the tank, in which case go nuts with the soda.

Lol that is exactly what I was thinking of trying...but thank you for saving me, and my fishies the trouble haha

Still I would be interested to know if anyone else has tried something similar with fish...maybe in more gradual doses, like a liter over the course of a day

So no on anyone else having experimented with carbonated water in a livestocked tank??

Also does anybody know if liquid co2 supplements like excel or api co2 booster are effective? I'm sure they help, but will they serve as a stand in to co2 hungry species when there is no pressurized co2?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-03-2014 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
Seadon is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 03:50 AM
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto/Singapore
Posts: 11,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadon View Post
Also does anybody know if liquid co2 supplements like excel or api co2 booster are effective? I'm sure they help, but will they serve as a stand in to co2 hungry species when there is no pressurized co2?
They work, but are nowhere near as effective as CO2.

In addition, some plants are sensitive to glutaraldehyde.

Anthony


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Seadon's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Manchester, nh
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
They work, but are nowhere near as effective as CO2.

In addition, some plants are sensitive to glutaraldehyde.

Thanks, I'll have to do a little research and make sure all my plants are compatible.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seadon is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome