Planted tanks and cichlids - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Planted tanks and cichlids

Anyone ever do a planted cichlid tank? I know that oscars are notorious for uprooting, but how about other species of cichlids, I have a beautiful 120, that I'd like to do a cichlid tank with...but now that I'm getting all gung-HO with the planted tanks, I'd like to apply what I've learned on a pretty new tank as well...any thoughts/ advice or even ideas on what you would do given the chance to start fresh on a 120 would be welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 01:18 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quite a few dwarf cichlids are plant-friendly, especially the South American species.

Travis did the best planted tank with Africans I ever saw (see the last post since seems like most of his pic links are broken) https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ravis+cichlids

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have angelfish ram and keyhole cichlids and no problems with plants

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow, thank you... That is my vision, I wish I was capable of doing something a fraction as spectacular as that, technically or financially :p

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:26 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (126/100%)
I have a firemouth who's cool w/plants

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I keep a 125 with mixed African cichlids. First step might be to tell you to ignore much of what is written. I find my fish and my tank don't match what I often read from the parrot talk.

A 20 gallon planted with Labibochomis breeding group and young Hap Ahli juvies.

A 125 with mixed African cichlids.

End view/same tank

Choose your path carefully and then go for it!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I keep a 125 with mixed African cichlids. First step might be to tell you to ignore much of what is written. I find my fish and my tank don't match what I often read from the parrot talk.

A 20 gallon planted with Labibochomis breeding group and young Hap Ahli juvies.

A 125 with mixed African cichlids.

End view/same tank

Choose your path carefully and then go for it!

Am I seeing some sort of loach in that last picture?

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
I have a planted 75 with festivum cichlids, angels, bolivian rams, laetacara dorsigera cichlids and it does fine.

-Jacklyn
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
I have a planted 75 with festivum cichlids, angels, bolivian rams, laetacara dorsigera cichlids and it does fine.

What is the ratio of cichlids to other fish, I'm wondering if it makes a difference to how they act towards the plants based on their numbers

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've read that it helps to pot the plants and put them in before the fish are added.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote: Am I seeing some sort of loach in that last picture?

Yes, there are quite a large number of various loachs in that tank. I no longer stress over what fish should be in a location. It is more of a plan where they find their niche or hit the road. I often get odd fish assortments in trading tanks that come with fish, so it is not unusual for me to put them where space is available and if they seem to work out, I leave them there. If not, I move them, either to other tanks or to sell/trade them.
I find I can read and study until I'm blind and still get the wrong information or I can try it. Things work out much quicker if I just try it.

On plants and cichlids there are so many exceptions to the way I do things that I can't really form up a firm plan to say, "this will work." There are tons of variables to consider and those things can change even on the same fish in the same tank. I feel that plant eating can sometimes be learned from watching other fish. I have had yellow labs in with plants and they never bothered them until I added othe fish who ate the plants. Then it became common for the labs to eat the plants.

These labs ate the plants.

These did not. Different plants?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

to the OP, some plants are more tasty to cichlids. As a general rule of thumb, anubias, swords, crypts and lotus plants that are a bit bigger and have a harder/crisper leaf are less likely to get eaten IME. Stem plants as well as young tender plants will be demolished by some fish including cichlids. I think most of the dwarf south American cichlids do well with most plants and wont bother them.

In my 75 I have 5 festivum, 6 laetacara and one angel. then I have a small school of corydoras and a small school of neon tetras. I would guess around a 1 to 1 ratio, but that's just my tank. My mixed cichlid tank is probably overcrowded if you went by the books, but I run a UV sterilizer, do large water changes and have lots of different places for fish to territorialize and it works well for me.

I will agree with what Grah the Great said about potting the plants, this helps to move them and suck up the poo when doing water changes. I also like to use sand so the waste sits on top and I can siphon it right off because cichlids are big waste creators. Don't get me wrong, probably all my plants have a leaf or two with a bite taken out of them because the fish have to at least try it once, but it doesn't bother me really. I have a thread on the tank on TPT its titled "My attempt at an Amozian biotope" I think.

-Jacklyn
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The plants are the easy part. Most of the common aquarium plants do not mind what the mineral level is in the water. Set the GH to suit the fish, and add whatever plants you want.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So should I try and get the flora/fauna established before I try and put the cichlids in?

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

yes definitely.

-Jacklyn

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode