Good driftwood and/or rock source(s) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi all...

Just purchased and assembled a 90G bowfront with everything else to arrive by mid-week next week. Plants to follow, but not until I have the rock and driftwood necessary to complete the picture I have in my mind.

I'm wondering if there are any sites online where one can purchase nice pieces of driftwood (natural, not fake varieties)? Only interested in sites that have ACCURATE pictures and dimensions of the driftwood pieces advertised as I would like to know exactly what I'm purchasing should I do so. Decent price would be nice too. Local LFS's in the area are wanting between $50 and $100 for decent pieces, and selection is usually very limited. I have yet to see the piece I'm looking for...

The same for rock sources if they exist.

Have others simply hiked through the woods to find these items?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 11:21 AM

I have read here that people were really happy with driftwood from
www.floridadriftwood.com, Ebay also has driftwood and rocks and they usually post pics. As far as hiking and finding your own , this is a great idea ,I do this myself, just make sure to check the rocks with muriatic or sulphuric acid and if it fizzes, they are no good and could change your water chem. Trust me on this one.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown
http://www.aquariumdriftwood.com

Nothing compares to the pieces you get from these guys. The centerpieces are Amano like quality. They ship wet, so they are guaranteed to sink. For an example,

http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.c...p;m=6426009133

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 10:18 PM

I can't advise you on the driftwood, but for the rocks you can get almost any rock you can think of for really cheap from your local landscape supply yard. I did this and picked up 40lbs of rock to use in my 72g bowfront tank, and it cost me all of $8 for the rocks!

Some of the otherwise good rocks had some limey deposits on them which I got rid of by soaking the rocks in muriatic acid overnight, brushing with a wire brush, and then rinsing completely in fresh water the next day.

BTW, you can get 1g containers of muriatic acid at your local Home Depot inexpensively.

Geoff
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

I just bought some from this company and you get what you see. They give the size & description of each piece.
https://www.driftwoodsupply.com/index.jsp

He who angers you, controls you!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
There is a guy who ebays nice pieces of driftwood that goes by the name of Rockartsource. I don't think he currently has any auctions up. I just ordered a piece from him and am waiting to get it. He has photos of all the wood so you know what you are getting.

Here is the wood I got for $25 US

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ME:B:EOAB:CA:6
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 01:20 AM

I got mine from aquariumdriftwood also. Iunknown is right. Those people there will look for the driftwood that you describe. They are all pre-soaked, no tan realease in your tank at all. You just tell them the size of your tank, how you want to place the driftwood. I ordered twice from them and got exactly what I wanted.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I'll keep my eye out for a good piece on eBay (watching a few already), and I'll contact floridadriftwoods to see if they can find the "perfect" piece.

Thanks again.

Fletch!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode