opinions on layout before water is added (new pic) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
opinions on layout before water is added (new pic)

hi there,

would like some opinions on tank layout before i add water, here is a picture and no the background is not staying lol I am pleased with it but don't know if it could be made look better with more experienced eyes. you cant tell from this pic but there is like a track/river the goes in the middle and swings slowly to the left

Regards Darren

here is a pic of what and where it may be planted

Last edited by duzzy; 02-13-2008 at 11:10 AM. Reason: new pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Not a fan, to be honest. The three rocks could form an Iwagumi or the driftwood shapes could make a nature aquarium. I find them to be contrasting. If it's possible, maybe go with an iwagumi type with the size of that tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Why don't you take picture of several different poses and let the members help you decide? I'm also not fond of your current design, but it might be different once plants are in.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

cheers and what is iwagumi?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Iwagumi is a type of design style:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...h+Images&gbv=2

I'm not crazy about the design either, but it's so hard to tell when there aren't any plants because most of the low lying wood and rocks will most likely get covered up anyway.

I do love the matching colors of the substrate and wood. And I actually like the contrasting light colors of the rocks. It breaks up the monochromatic colors (yes, I know the plants will be green).

Do keep in mind that I am design challenged.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

thanks for that I am design challenged too give me a camera, bride and groom and I am set but my fish tank blah blah lol
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:34 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duzzy View Post
thanks for that I am design challenged too give me a camera, bride and groom and I am set but my fish tank blah blah lol
I'm just impressed with your computer skills. That color shading is cool. Granted, I'm not exactly a computer whiz.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

thanks ll5 i was going to cut and paste plant pics but ran out of time lol was tired
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
IMO- remove the tall skinny wood- doesn't belong.

Either remove the round stones or make a group of 3. If you keep the round stones, you need to reposition the mopani wood closer together.

You need to arrange your tank more into thirds, and make sure you have only one primary focal point in a tank that size. The focal point needs to be off-center (your big mopani I think is ok where it is as the focal)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Im with Laura, take out the shinny and add another that looks like the other two pieces.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

new pic this pic added is my final layout (i think), the first I have been happy about to be honest

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 07:11 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I like the round stones better but the mopani is back to being symmetrical again! lol I would push the 2 round stones just a few inches to the left to create "path" between the mopani and add some depth to the layout; but that's me!

If you like this hardscape, stick with it. It's your tank!

I would still recommend doing things with the softscape that will make the two halves of the tank complement each other but avoid being symmetrical.

Just an idea- you could grow moss on one piece of the mopani and anubias on the other, have the same background plant throughout but then fill in with the background plant behind one piece of mopani, but either use a different textured/colored plant or leave open space around the other.... that type of thing?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

I had a path there, might still do that but those rock will be covered in moss and I might push the right hand side mopani to the left a bit or the right piece back and anubias will be between the driftwood and substrate as if they are growing from beneath. and java ferns on the right hand piece. Appreciate your input once things are pointed out I can see it but looking at it i can see to make it better does that make sense? The overall shape to the tank is a concave setup, I am really having fun with this project and i havnt got to the good bit yet lol but figure i want it right as this is the basic structure to my whole tank

Thanks again

Regards Darren

p.s. obviously not final layout

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode