Pearling at night? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pearling at night?

If there's already a thread about this, sorry.

So this past weekend, I finally saw my tank for the first time in a couple weeks during its "night" cycle. My lights come on at 4 pm. At 2 or 3 pm, there were bubbles all over my water sprite and java moss - even some under my anubias. I have great pearling when the lights come on, but at night?

Are my plants giving off enough 02 to pearl? I figure it's either that, or there's enough air mixing from the outflow from my HOB (Aquaclear 20) to make air bubbles "stick" to my tall water sprite plants.

My main concern is that now that I finally FINALLY got the tank to cycle, I don't want to suffocate my potential fish. Plants are going nuts.

10 gallon
2x26w spiral CFLs in shop light reflectors, 7 hrs/day
Aquaclear 20
Aquasoil
Approaching jungle-like conditions
DIY CO2 (4 2-liter bottles, one swapped in rotation weekly)
Have dosed Excel to nail some BBA; reduced to about 1 ml/every other day as some leaves looked "burned" where I normally dose.
Haven't had a chance to even think about ferts.

Also, I've got moderate GSA, some hitchhiker snails getting fat on said GSA, a few gnarly white squiggly worms (I figure these will become fish food soon enough), and moving specks of what I think are planaria. Ammonia=0, Nitrites=0 Nitrates = 5ppm (appx). pH is so low it's off the charts. Below 6, anyway. Actually, I've only been doing tiny nonsense water changes because my water out of the tap is both incredibly soft and has a ph of about 8.2. I'm afraid to swing the crap out of the pH. I'm going to get another bucket to "age" my new water, because someone around here tested and found that it goes back down to 7.0 if left to sit out for 24 hours.

So, duh, I should get a drop checker, but it's only 10g - I already hate having the heater, filter, and CO2 stuff messin with my 'scape.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/95%)
I dont see what plant would pearling at nigh.

At night, plant use O2, sugar synthesized during the day light to make ATP to power the cell structure. They release CO2 as end product.

CO2 is non polar molecule, while water is polar. For that reason, it is hard to dissolve CO2 in water. At night, any CO2 produced will mostly go to the surface and eventually diffuse out.

If you concern with O2 level in your tank, get a air stone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode