Re-planting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My tank is set up about 4 1/2 months and everything has settled down. No hair algae and plants grow well. The tank is really packed with plants as I had heard at the beginning to pack in the plants to out compete algae.
The downside is that a lot of the plants have no leaves on the bottom 50 - 60% of the stem. I know all about cutting the tops and replanting etc. I will do this as well as add some new plants. My question is can I thin out the tank somewhat so it doesn't look like a jungle? Can I now plant say every 1 1/2" away from the next one and leave some space from the next species? One thing that I had done for example with foxtail was that I had bought 6 bunches (about 6 in a bunch too). I took off the lead wrap and planted the whole bunch together. I then planted each bunch about an inch from each other. It looked good for a while but then the light couldn't penetrate to the bottom. Also should I keep the plants kept trimmed on the short side. It seems as if they grow to to the top of the water then there is more of a chance that it will shade out the bottom.

I appreciate any planting advise. By the way, I have 3.6 watts/gallon with pressurized CO2.

Thanks,
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
The recommendation to start up with a lot of plants is good, but of course somewhat relative. It doesn't mean you have to plant so densely that no light reaches the substrate :lol: Use common sense... Some start a planted 55 gal tank by planting one crypt, one sword, and three stems of ludwigia (or any combination like that) and this is where this recommendation comes in. Goodness, you must have spent a fortune on plants :shock: Go ahead and thin them out now!
:mrgreen:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments. I guess I did spend a lot on plants but as you said all is relative. I used to have a 94 gallon reef tank with ALL the equipment. So far I think I haven't even dug into my pockets yet in comparison. LOL.

Seriously though I am looking forward to thinning out the tank as it really over grown. The up side to this is that fish like Lemon tetras that are difficult to breed have had babies and are grown.

Thanks,
Ken

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 05:44 AM

Hi

When you trim out the plants just watch your parameters carefully. There have been times when I have done a nice trim and move around, next thing algae!! Just keep that in mind.

Morpheus
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Yes, this is onmy mind too. I am doing less than 25% of the tank at a time and I will monitor Phos and Nit. I also plan on doing a 25% water change right after I do the planting as well as gravel syphoning the areas where I pulled out the plants.

Ken
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 09:26 PM

Ken it sounds like you have a good plan. If i do a larger trimmings I also cut back on fertilizing. That is cool that you have baby lemon tetras.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 09:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

ken,

Now take those clipping and offer them in the swap and shop to supplement the hobby.... Nothing like getting a few bucks or trading for something unique or rare...

Jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode