hitchhikers. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Unhappy hitchhikers.

i've got hitchhikers.

just planted my 10gal and i've got hitchhiker snails. so i'm wondering how (or if) i should get rid of them. the tank is unstocked except for them. i'm planing to get some dwarf gouramis, guppies, a ramshorn or two, and maybe some shrimp if i can keep the gouramis from eating them. does anybody know if dwarf gouramis would eat snails? prolly not. i know i could get a dwarf puffer or clown loach to eat them but i wouldn't be able to keep them. i've heard comet goldfish will eat snails, is that true? that would be the easiest since i could just feed the commets to my friend's chiclids when i was done. (provided i didn't get attached to them...) how long would take for a bunch of comets to clean a 10 gal of snails? if it's longer than i week i might start naming them. XP

what other methods are there for getting rid of snails?

and should i even get rid of them? they are kinda cute i guess.... can they cause problems? and will they add to the bioload of the tank?

ps- i'm not sure what kind they are. they are tiny, the biggest are about the size if a grain of rice. they don't have pointy shells like trumpet snails, or flat like ramshorns. they look kinda like tiny grey mystery sails.... i hope that's not what they are. they'd eat my plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 04:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I would leave them unless you notice plants being eaten. I have ramshorn, MTS, and pond snails in most all of my tanks with no problems. If there is a lot of uneaten food for the snails to get to, you will have tons of them in no time. Take it easy on the food and you will probably enjoy the diversity.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
If you do decide to get rid of them, now that they're already in your tank you'll probably need something that will eat them, like a dwarf loach.

If you want to prevent them from getting into a tank in the first place, you should probably dip the plants in a light bleach or soak them in potassium permanganate solution.

Here's a couple of links about it:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA027
http://www.aquaticplantresources.net...ab5d052312dc4d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 07:48 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
I would just get rid of them now. By the time you realize you don't want them anymore, it's too late. Remove the plants and bleach the tank.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I think biodiversity is they way to go in tanks. You are going to get snails in one way or another unless you check every leaf of every plant that you recieve. Snails are not a bad thing. Many people on this forum ask for MTS's or ramshorns because they serve a positive funtion in the aquarium. When I first started with planted aquaria I had the notion that snails were bad, but now I put Melenoides Granifera (a cousin of MTS) in all my tanks.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i thought i might want to keep them... until i noticed what they have been doing to my sunset hygro! so i'd like to get rid of them. what fish do you guys recommend to get rid of them? i wouldn't mind having a bottom dwelling fishy, specially since the others will mostly stick to the top; but i'm having a hard time finding any that will fit in my tank without giving up half, if not all of my stocking scheme. i'd have enough room for one dwarf loach, but i've read they need to be kept in groups of atleast five. with five fish at 2.5 inches my tank would be overstocked without any other fish. does anyone know if they can be kept alone? would they stress themselves or would they just become recluse?

could i possibly poison the snails? i only have one guppy in there that i added today, and he could be moved. i don't want to really use 'snail poison', but maybe i could add bleach or add way too many ferts and then dilute it with a massive water change after they were dead? i read that when bleach is diluted it can be removed with dechlorinater right? or would they just clam up and survive? or worse would i be unable to make the tank safe again?
...maybe snail poison would be better, but i don't know where i could find any locally.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:25 AM

Bleach is the best, but some plants do not handle bleach too well. If you temporarily house the guppy somewhere for awhile, you can use a PP solution. DO NOT put the granules directly into the tank, because PP does not dissolve quickly. You need to put some PP granules into a cup and pour tap water in the cup, then pour about 1/4 a cup of the solution into your tank. Add more tap water in the cup and again pour 1/4 cup of the solution into your tank. Repeat this until the granules are dissolved in the cup.

PP can be nuetralized with dechlorinator as well. The ice thing about PP si that it stains the gelatine that surround eggs. So if you happen to see a plant with round purple spot, it is more likely snails eggs. Either remove the eggs or the leave it's attached to.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks! do you know where i could find that stuff?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
If you use pressurized c02 you could overgas the tank overnight and turn the filter off (if you have a hang on the back filter) so it don't rid the c02. Take out the fish in it and then leave the c02 on overgassing overnight. By morning all snails should be dead. I think the member Daud of this forum does it on some of the plants he sells before he ships them. Overgas, discard. Just a thought..
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
I'd use copper to kill the snails. It shouldn't be as hard on your tank...
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:49 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
NO don't use copper! It will absorb into your tank (especially the silicone) and you will never be able to keep any invertibrates in it again.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

the overgassing sounds like a good idea, but my co2 isn't pressurized; it's just one of those lil hagen things that work like a diy.

i tried that lettuce trick last night... not a single snail on the lettuce; but they were still all over my hygro. squishing them seems more effective.

i'm kinda back and forth about whether i should do this the natural way or the chemical way. does anyone think i could train a dwarf gourami to eat snails? i know some of their relations like betas and giant gourami will eat snails. and i've been told the dwarves are excellent shrimp hunters. or i could get a south american bumblebee catfish, they supposedly will eat guppies though... maybe they won't if i keep em fat 'n happy on snails though. either way that's not quite as bad as having a dwarf puffer harassing gouramis.

-sigh-
then again, maybe i should just poison them. it sounds so horrible for the tank but it seems like the surest way.

i'm changing my mind so much i feel like i should be in politics. lol.
i think i'm leaning back towards the natural route now though. afterall, i'm super natural with the rest of my pets, what not my fish?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
I manually remove them from my tank with a net. I always leave some in my tank because they are very useful, but can look kind of nasty when there are too many of them. You should leave some in the tank because it'll make your tank look more aquatic and natural with snails roaming around. Just simply scoop out the snails that's reachable until you notice less of them. I do this once every week and it takes about 1 minute.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i've been squishing about twenty everyday, but it seems like for every one i squish, three more sprout up in it's place! it's scary. seriously.
plus it's not good for my hands, i have to put them in and out of water all day with my job. by the time i get home the are a cracked bloody mess. and a net won't do it, they just fall back into the gravel the moment i bump the plant.

...and on top of that, i'm starting to like the idea of having a catfish named mr. bumbles.
i just hope he doen't try to eat mr. blellow the blue/yellow guppy.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chartreuse Boots View Post
thanks! do you know where i could find that stuff?
You can find PP at most hardware stores, in the water heater or well water containment aisle. I bought mine at Ace. It's kind of expensive, but you get allot in there. Just use a few granules.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode