breeding shrimp help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
breeding shrimp help

Can I setup a shrimp breeding tank witha 2.5 gallon tank? The shrimp I can get are called opae locally. People say they are cherry shrimp minus the red. The tank has a mini biowheel. Don't know what kind of substrate. The tank is one of those explorer tanks for kids. What kind of plants to encourage breeding. Any fish I should put in?

Never ever tried this before. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 03:58 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
They might breed in there but you'd need someplace to relocate the babies to grow out. I'd personally go with a bigger tank because it's easier to keep good water paramters in a bigger tank. It also might be harder to do PWCs and not suck up babies?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I believe opae may need brackish water. They are harder to breed then cherries. Here is a little bit about them, but I forgot where the best site for info on breeding them is: http://www.petshrimp.com/hawaiianredshrimp.html

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 05:48 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
I believe opae may need brackish water. They are harder to breed then cherries. Here is a little bit about them, but I forgot where the best site for info on breeding them is: http://www.petshrimp.com/hawaiianredshrimp.html

Opae is the Hawaiian word for shrimp. Opae ula or Anchialine opae do need brackish water.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

these shrimp are not alchaline shrimp. They are clear shrimps that look like cherry shrimps but no red in it. 3-5cm in length. I'll take some photos when i buy some...but i wanted to see if i could breed em in a 2.5 g. Was just gonna through some aquasoil in with some anubias and some anacharis in a tank in the full sun. These shrimp survive in salt to brackish and freshwater. they are easy to acclomate to new water conditions as they are usually caught at stream mouths that empty to the ocean. Just wanted to know how to breed them.. Any way to make them breed fast or grow fast?

They best i ever had was a 5 gallon i left outside that got overrun with algae no filtration and no gravel...they just lived in the green water. It was a tank left in the rain from when i gave up on it and left the guppies and shrimp in it and they seem to do well...just was sooooo oooogly.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 07:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLEKO View Post
Opae is the Hawaiian word for shrimp. Opae ula or Anchialine opae do need brackish water.
Ah, ok. Thanks for telling me, I just assumed because that's what they are called in those biotope things that nature stores sell. By the way, those biotope things are a bad idea.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Dwarfpufferfish
Cherry Shrimp without color are known as Neocaridina heteropoda. You will be able to breed them in a 2-gallon aquarium, but they will quickly over run the aquarium and breeding will slow quickly!

-------------------------------------

information.
-------------------------------------
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That sounds good thought....i wanted to have a steady supply to keep adding to my 10gallon to help with clean up and serve as a special treat for my fish once in awhile...will the 2.5 gal be enough to keep them going?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 06:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have ~120 in my 10 gal right now.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

how many do you think i can put in my 2.5 gallon? Will they breed?

I plan on leaving the tank outdoors with some cheapo anacharis and regular gravel about 3-5 mm in size. the mini biowheel filter..no ugf or aerator....i have no experience in "breeding" shrimp...is this a good setup?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you are doing cherry shrimp, I can tell you that they will breed in just about anything. You don't breed cherry shrimp, you put them in a glass box and wait. I wouldn't recommend leaving the tank outside, although it is roughly -20 here, and I wish I was in HI. Depends on your temps, I guess. I would highly recommend you get a clump of java moss. They will breed anyway, but java moss makes it easier for them to feed, and for them to feel comfortable. With a biowheel filter (or any power filter), I recommend you get a sponge prefilter. Just go to your pet store and get one of those foam blocks designed for aquaclears and make a hole in it big enough for your intake. Otherwise, your babies will go in the filter. Some will even live and grow inside the filter. But, it's best to let them do that in the tank.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That is so true...it's been so long since i bred anything...hahaha..i found 3 guppies in my HOB filter before...i'll probably forget the biowheel and leave the 2.5 gal outside with java fern and a few neons and let the thing go crazy...should i use flourite to help the fern grow of just reg gravel...i have some extra river gravel about 2.5-5mm big...i think i will just get a small nano in tank filter since not much will be living in there except shrimp...about how long will it take before i get my first batch of babies and how long till they mature to breeding age?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

can anyone answer about the breeding time and growth cycle? I also wanted to know if it's worth putting flourite in the tank with the java fern or can i just use gravel 5mm big?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 04:45 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
If the only plant you're using is java fern or java moss substrate doesn't matter- those plants don't go in the substrate.

How long it will take before the shrimp begin breeding is hard to predict because it depends on so many factors; how old the shrimp are when you get them, how quickly they acclimate to your setup, water parameters, food, etc. In general they're pretty easy to breed so if everything is good and you have mature adults, I'd estimate maybe a month or two at most?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks laura,

How long does it take for a baby to grow to maturity to breed?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode