Would someone post a photo of their drop checker "ideal" color? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Would someone post a photo of their drop checker "ideal" color?

I would like to see how yellowish other people are letting their drop checkers get without having ill effects on their fish/invertebrates. This was posted a while ago, but I can't find the photos. I feel like I need a visual to compare my drop checker to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:36 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you want, you can use the pH/kH chart to backtrack and figure out what ppm of CO2 you have. If you do this using a drop checker (known kH) it should be much more accurate than using a pH and kH test kit with tank water.

For example, you'll be using the 4 dKH row. Look at a pH test kit card and pick the color that matches your drop checker. If it's solidly green, then you have a pH of 6.6 or so, right? On that chart, a KH of 4.0 and a pH of 6.6 is 30 ppm CO2 which is the "ideal" level.

Of course, some people use a 5 dKH solution in their drop checkers, so when theirs turn green (at pH 6.6) they have closer to 40 ppm CO2.

In another thread of yours you said that your new drop checker turned pretty yellow-green, and you were concerned about your fish. Looking at the pH test kit card, I'd guess you had a color similar to pH 6.4 or so? That would mean your CO2 was at 47 ppm, or at least in that range.

Of course that raises the question of what levels of CO2 are safe for fish. I think I remember Tom Barr saying he'd seen some evidence that it's not the absolute level of CO2 that suffocates fish, but the ratio of dissolved CO2 to dissolved O2. You can apparently raise the CO2 pretty high as long as there's enough O2. Since your plants were producing enough O2 to bubble, the water should have been pretty O2-rich.

I'd personally suggest being more conservative than that, but that's just me. Watch your fish and make sure they're healthy, and try and keep the color of your drop checker somewhere between 6.4 and 6.8 on the pH test kit chart. That's what I do, at least. As long as your fish are acting healthy you're doing ok, right?

I guess the real point is that I think you're overthinking things. As Tom Barr says, they're just pond weeds anyway. Actually, this might be getting into the territory of unwanted advice, but from reading your threads, it seems like you might be overthinking and overcomplicating a lot of things in this hobby. I guess some of it is complicated. But I still think you'd be happier if you chilled out, trusted yourself more, and had more fun. Yeah?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:39 AM

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swylie View Post
I guess the real point is that I think you're overthinking things. As Tom Barr says, they're just pond weeds anyway. Actually, this might be getting into the territory of unwanted advice, but from reading your threads, it seems like you might be overthinking and overcomplicating a lot of things in this hobby. I guess some of it is complicated. But I still think you'd be happier if you chilled out, trusted yourself more, and had more fun. Yeah?
Point well taken and appreciated- I overcomplicate and overthink everything! You are not supposed to have a stroke over a hobby! I think you're right about not pushing the CO2 more than I need to. It's just so disappointing that the plants don't pearl when the drop checker is plain old green
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishaquarium View Post
Just what I wanted - thanks!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Well, CO2 isn't the only thing plants need in order to pearl. They need strong light, and good nutrients as well. Its everything together that makes them pearl.

BTW, I wouldn't trust photos of peoples DCs, because the white balance on their photo vs. the color of the lights in your tank, the room you're sitting in, and the settings on your monitor are so variable that the picture may as well be blue.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEndingNinja View Post
Well, CO2 isn't the only thing plants need in order to pearl. They need strong light, and good nutrients as well. Its everything together that makes them pearl.

BTW, I wouldn't trust photos of peoples DCs, because the white balance on their photo vs. the color of the lights in your tank, the room you're sitting in, and the settings on your monitor are so variable that the picture may as well be blue.
I think I've got plenty of light, and I'm following the EI method. I should have everything right - knock on wood. Good point about the photos. I still think you can tell something but I'll keep in mind it's not the same. Thanks.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 03:11 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Well, CO2 isn't the only thing plants need in order to pearl.
Newbie question...what's pearl?

~ 75g rimless cube (empty...discus?)
~ 55g w/ 11" Oscar & 10" Sailfin Pleco
~ 40g w/ 15g sump Bangaii breeding grounds (SW)
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sumpless LPS reef (SW)

~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Asian theme planted
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Newbie question...what's pearl?
It's when plants release oxygen bubbles during photosynthesis. Do a search for pearl or pearling and you'll see a lot of info!

This thread talks about real pearling and false pearling:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...-pearling.html

If you go to the General Planted Tank forum, there is a glossary that may be very helpful. Welcome to the forum!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:

True enough, mine IS green tho hehe
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:06 AM
Planted Member

Thanks loachlady.

~ 75g rimless cube (empty...discus?)
~ 55g w/ 11" Oscar & 10" Sailfin Pleco
~ 40g w/ 15g sump Bangaii breeding grounds (SW)
~
sumpless LPS reef (SW)

~
Asian theme planted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode