What do you think - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking What do you think

This is my first planted tank. It is 125gal it has a rena XP3 filter florite and sand substrate CO2 system on it. I do not remember most of the names of the plants that I put in there there are so many. There are alot of fish in it also I think that I could sit down and name all of those. This is my first time on here and I need advice and your opinions please. Thanks

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z...herhicks/Fish/
http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z...istopherhicks/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Well it looks good to me. Maybe a black background. What is your lighting? How many watts per gallon is on this tank? Are you running CO2 at all? Can you put together a list of plants and fish? From the Picture I see a dwarf Gourami, Platys, Cremsicle Lyretail Molly, Flame Tetra(?), a female guppy, Anubias, Vallisneria or Onion Plant and it seems a dracanea sp. is in there too but a better pic would be needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

I will try to get a better picture of the tank but I am not sure about what plants are in there I just picked all of the ones that I liked. The fish guppies mollies, neon tetras, glow light tetras, african dwarf frogs, upside down catfish, gouramis, hatchet fish. There may be a few more in there. There is a CO2 system on there. The light is the stock on that came with the tank. Do you think that is enough light or do you think I need to get another one to add to it.

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Im unfamiliar with how many watts a standard 6' bulb is so maybe someone can help you there. Im sure it is lowlight as all strip bulbs put you at lowlight. Depending on the plants you want to grow you may need more lighting on the tank.

post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

The lights are F30T8 36" 26k Eclipse Natural Daylight
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 03:25 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
room for improvement;
single XP3 on a 125gal tank?
Bubble wand while diffusing Co2?

if you give us the dimensions of
the tank, we can advise you on
lighting upgrade possibilities.

post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

The tank is 72x18x23
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 03:59 AM
Banned

I would get a pair of 36" fixtures
each with T5HO 2x39 watt bulb.
that pink bulb enhances colors.

you can get a square acrylic bar to
hold them both up from the center,
and get rid of the glass canopy, as
these fixtures come with wire-legs.

a pair of 1x96w 36" fixtures would
also work, but it's hard to find one
without a half Blue bulb. Blue bulbs
are less helpful with planted tanks.

these fixtures are narrow enough
that you could double up on them
later should you want to get into
more high light demanding plants.

post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

what about these Actinic White 12000K T-5 HO Fluorescent Tubes
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:55 AM
Banned

please elaborate the context or provide a link when asking such a question.
white bulbs between 6500-10,000 are generally used for planted tanks.
you can use 12,000 bulbs, but they may make your tank appear too blue,
and lack power at the red end of the light spectrum your plants also need.
generally white bulbs in the 10-20k range are used for saltwater reef tanks.

post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:12 AM
Banned

chris, you started this thread asking for advice and opinions.
maybe you should tell us why you are not satisfied with your tank?
I mean, clearly you need more filtration and light, but maybe you
should tell us how much money you have to spend, and what is
it about your tank that you most want to see improved?

please elaborate; what is the "CO2 system on there" ?

post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Here are most of the plants

post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:19 AM
Banned

the bamboo stem plant
and the white stripped
leaf plant, or not meant
to be kept under water.

post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

here is a pic of the CO2 system
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/112...1_FS21173P.jpg
I just want to make sure that the plants have plenty of everything they need. I have already spent $1800 on the tank and everything in it I am willing to spend a little more money on it but I want to spend as little as possible.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode