Help! moderately planted overstocked tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help! moderately planted overstocked tank

Hi all! I've been struggling with the thought of removing my penguin biowheel filter since the current is really messing up my plant "movement" on my 55. I use it to inject diy co2 and am fed up with that as well. Not wanting to be embaressed by overstocking, etc. I have been postponing posting but really want to hear what everyone has to say. I think ;-)

Since adding the penguin 330 about 6 months ago I have overstocked the tank somewhat with fish (emergency rehomes) and worry the eheim 2026 won't be enough now. The plants cover most of the tank except two 6" areas where driftwood is and a 7" area for the cories/cory coconut cave. I have alot of vals, an amazon sword that is doing eh, a large anubia barteri on slate, a ton of either dwarf sags or microsword (I forget which one!), java moss, and small amount of new hornwort in anticipation of changes... I use hard well water (300ppm) and do 30% h2o changes weekly. Since adding the mollies a month ago (big surprise) I'm having nitrate issues ... yesterday I lost the battle I just removed two pretty big areas of christmas moss b/c thread algae was out of control so that is another big change to consider. Oh yeah, there is also some java fern on the driftwood, and purple camboba in the corner. I'm attaching a (bad) picture to kinda see what I'm talking about. I was thinking of replacing the penguin with a quick filter I have been hanging onto new....

Now for the stocking list. eeeeeek- 2 adult angelfish, 9 botia striatas, 2 bristlenose plecos, 1 whiptail cat, 2 cories(they like to be alone! didn't hang with other cories...) 5 bosemani rainbows and 7 black mollies!!!!!

Ok, I'm ready for the yelling. :-0 *ducking*.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55tank.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	5886  

Last edited by ultimatehipster; 02-10-2008 at 05:07 PM. Reason: add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Woah

But I love your plants

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 05:26 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
indeed. Whats the point of yelling if you already know what is going to be said?

To be honest youd probably be fine if you could just rehome those mollies. Eating and pooping machines is what they are. Correction. Eating, pooping and breeding machines is what they are.

you could try using tetra nitrate reducing granules in the tank and some nitrate remover in your filter (if you arent already) to see if that will tip the battle back in your favour.

Atlternately maybe a plantthat grows really really fast to eat nitrates. Howabout a nice willow branch?

Marc

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode