Too much?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Too much??

How is my bioload for this size tank?? am i pushing it??

28 gal (20g of h2o total)

8 zebra danio (glofish actually)
7 various corydoras
1 2" bulldog pleco
2 otocinclus
3 bamboo shrimp
2 golden clams

Creeping jenny, Java fern/moss, Ludwigia, Rotala, Anubias, Dwarf hairgrass, water onion, baby tears, and a few unknown.

water parameters are okay and have been steady. All Fish seem to be very healthy and active, as well as the shrimp. Thanks for any advice!

28gal.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10gal. "glofish" w/blacklighting
5gal. Shrimp
16gal. Reef

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think you're fine for right now. The bulldog plec may get a bit big eventually, but at 5 inches, you'll probably be fine. Be careful with the golden clams; they are filter feeders, and if you don't have a good current and stuff for them to eat, they might die on your and foul up your tank.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Seems ok.

Bioload depends on a lot of things.

Frequency and size of water changes, fish body shape (i.e. goldfish poop more than most tetras of similar length), swimming space of fish, powerfulness of filtration, plant density, how much you feed, etc.

A higher bioload will just mean more water changes and faster for the system get out of control. I stock my 55g w/ a lot of fish, but they seem to be fine. I have to do weekly 50% WC though, which is getting kind of tiring.

I may consider sizing down (# of fish) just so the tank looks less congested.

So it really depends on your goals. Less maintenance, then probably fewer fish. But what you have right now seems ok if you keep up w/ frequent WCs and keep CO2 + light + dosing fert steady.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:41 AM

I agree with the comments here.

I think your bioload is probably ok so long as the plants you have are thriving. If your plants stall or start to die off then you will have problems with nitrates and that will cause the plants to die off faster unfortunately....

Been there done that.

You should definately take into accout the projected size of fish such as your pleco, but of equal importance is space for swimming and territory.

I think you will be fine with most of the species you have there, but I would advise against introducing anything else.

Also watch your nitrates. The clams, shrimp and corys are all very sensitive to nitrates.

cheers

Marc
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys! i've been keeping and eye on my filter feeders. The clams are in a great spot in front of the tank. (the bamboo shrimp like to hang out where the clams are!!)I put a clear plastic tray under them/substrate so they cant move too far or too deep.
The tank has plenty enough room for the danios to swim around, and the cory's have Lots of ground to cover also.
50% wc are not a problem (all my wc's are 50%) but I still have to work on balancing light-co2-ferts

Also, Fishscale, do you know where i could find some "micofauna" for the clams and bamboo shrimp, around Ann arbor??

28gal.

5gal. Shrimp
16gal. Reef

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:54 AM

you might want to be careful with the 50% wc's

Shrimps tend to be very sensitive to water parameter changes. If I do anything over 33% my shrimps show signs of stress.

You might be fine, but keep an eye out.

Have you tried dropping down the amount you are changing to see if the water parameters stay stable? You might be overkilling it for no reason....

ideally you should get the tank balanced enough that small regular water changes are all you need.

Marc
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice cjunky, this is my first time keeping freshwater shrimp. I will eventually start decreasing the amount of h2o changed. Right now water param. have been steady but its still a fairly new tank (lil over a month) and havent had any losses so far, knock on wood. Oh, and the Pleco is just a guest for a few months, not a permanent member. Thanks again for the feed back!!!

28gal.

5gal. Shrimp
16gal. Reef

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 10:18 AM

no worries.

Keep an eye on the colour the shrimp go and what they do after you change the water. Colour and behaviour are usually pretty good indicators to how they are coping. If they are becoming paler, then they are stressed.

you might also want to test for calcium and copper in your water (dont refil your tank from the hot tap). If theres any copper, then the inverts arent going to do well.

Likewise if theres no calcium then they wont do well either as they need it for their molting process.

Cheers

Marc
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
The big water changes are ok on shrimp as long as you do them very slowly. As stated earlier, copper is a big issue with inverts. Sometimes, the effect will not show up immediately. I just reread your post and realized you are also keeping bamboo shrimp, so you probably know about the filter feeding thing. Bamboo shrimp can technically pick up small particles of food in desperate times, so are a little better off then the clams. I assume the area they congregate has a lot of flow? You could try to culture some green water with a bit of fish food in a jar full of water. Most of the micro-live foods I know of are meant for reef animals, and thus, are very expensive.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It takes me about an hour 1/2 to do a 50% wc, syphoning the new water into the tank through regular latex airline. It gives me time to tidy up the tank and do other things around the house.

28gal.

5gal. Shrimp
16gal. Reef

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 05:43 PM

Ive been feeding mine with ground up algae flakes. I just release the powder into the flow and let it circulate. I also dose the water from time to time with liquid calcium.

They must get enough from that and whatever else they pick up as theyre thriving.

Mine do like to find the filter outflow. ive got some java fern quite close to it and they take turns sometimes two at a time to "surf" the current while clinging onto one particularly big leaf.

Hilarious to watch. I always end up hearing surf tunes in my head.

Marc

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode