Just got my tank...now what? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Just got my tank...now what?

Ok so I went and bought my 20gallon it is a kit that comes with the food, filter, hood, lights, heater, net and conditioner. Today I also bought a bag of flourite substrate, and I have a question. I won't be able to order plants till next friday (money lol) or buy the driftwood. So do I put in the flourite tomorrow and let the filter run for about a week, or should I wait till I plant it to put in the substrate? I'm a bit confused, and won't it cloud up my tank really badly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Rinse the Flourite real good. When you think it's good enough, rinse some more. It will cloud your tank even after rinsing. Go ahead and put it in the tank today after rinsing and let your filter run to clear up the tank and to start the cycling process.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Rinse Rinse Rinse

And even when you think its clear enough rinse more. It will fog your tank up no matter what. I would add it in the tank as soon as you are done rinseing it so it can settle down and then you can get to the planning of your Aquascape .

~James~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Even though it's already been said twice before...rinse the Flourite a ton. Take your time on it. I did not have the patience when I got mine for my first tank, and now whenever I move plants around I get a nice big cloud of Flourite dust that takes an hour or so to die down.

Take a look at the various stickies around here, and give https://www.plantedtank.net/articles/...lanted-Tank/4/ a read.

Oh, and rinse your Flourite

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Ok I will do that...but won't I get algae this first week if I don't have anything in the tank except the substrate?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
http://www.rexgrigg.com

Good place to start, explains substrate, lighting, etc.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_envy View Post
Ok I will do that...but won't I get algae this first week if I don't have anything in the tank except the substrate?
I wouldnt run the lights until you get some plants

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode