Monsters in your tank (56K warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Monsters in your tank (56K warning)

Hiya

I thought i would share some of the photos i took during my recent experiences with dragonfly naiads.

This is a photo of the first one I found:

it was hanging around in the foreground carpet waiting for ususpecting amano shrimp. Its no surprise that my amano shrimp population disappeared over three days.

This is the next load. I found these in similar locations to the first. Usually in the dense carpet at the foreground and often hanging upside-down amongst debris in order to disguise their presence.

Heres a couple of shots that really show you what you are dealing with.

first a not so good out of focus one of one of my cherry shrimps being decimated

next one of my neon tetras

gets caught

and devoured

Still think they look cute?

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Efficient little buggers, aren't they?

Sorry they made it into your tank. I know first hand just how nasty they can be.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Cute uh? Looks like larva of crane fly or possibly dragonfly. Either way they will eat what ever they catch. Have you recently gathered plants on your own? These bugs are common in lakes and streams. IMO I would get them out fast!!

Good Luck..........

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooner View Post
Cute uh? Looks like larva of crane fly or possibly dragonfly. Either way they will eat what ever they catch. Have you recently gathered plants on your own? These bugs are common in lakes and streams. IMO I would get them out fast!!

Good Luck..........
The post is documenting him removing them from his tank, and he also stated they are dragonfly naiads.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

They are definitely dragonfly larvae and came with some plants that I bought from a supplier in the UK.

Chances are the supplier kept their stock in ponds outside and the eggs lay dormant amongst them. As soon as they hit my nice warm thank they hatched.

I'm pretty sure ive removed all of them.

Not before they destroyed 1 clown loach, three neon tetras, 30 amano shrimp and 15 cherry shrimp.

No wonder these things are at the top of the aquatic food chain.

Ive kept one of them in a jar as a pet Hes living off bloodworm and dead shrimp. Although recently another invertebrate showed up in my tank and ive been feeding them to him.

hes also quite fond of planaria and mosquito larvae.

Wonder how hard it would be to attach a string to him so I can use him to remove unwanted invertebrates.....

Marc
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Oooooooops, Skipped the first part.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

heh dont worry, your intentions were good

marc
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:23 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
I'm really sorry for your fish and shrimp loss, but those are some awesome pictures. I'm happy to hear that you have rid yourself of those little hungry beasts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 02:53 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow! I didn't even know those creatures existed. It's hard to imagine they can eat fish - weird. Sorry for your loss.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the condolences everyone.
Kana, thanks for the compliments about the photos.

I have to admit I was pretty worked up about it a week or so ago, but I'm alot more chilled now. The way I see it these things happen.

On the plus side i now have a planted species tank for my shrimp.

Another good points are that ive learnt lots of new and interesting stuff, taken some interesting photos and now got a monster in a jar to scare the kids with.

Never thought they would take out a loach though. Just shows you how efficient mother nature can be when she builds a killing machine.

Marc
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Algae Grower

Yikes! Thank you for posting the photos and info. I recently started a "dry" 10 gallon tank that I won't fill for a month or two. I collected some moss and wood from an area near our spring and I know we have lots of dragonflies around. Do you think that 6-8 weeks of moist and warm will be long enough to hatch any eggs?

TIA -
~g
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

They dont tend to lay their eggs in moss or on wood afaik. They favour the stems of plants or floating material although some species drop their eggs onto the surface or into mud.

You can sometimes spot eggs if you know what to look for, heres a couple of examples

In most cases they lie dormant over the winter months and then hatch in late spring, im thinking that its a temperature trigger as in my case they hatched pretty quickly after being introduced to a warm aquarium.

I would say within a couple of days certainly not more than a week.

Im not sure if moist would be sufficient though. The Naiads are fully aquatic and its possible the eggs wait until they are fully submerged. Try covering them with water for the month that you are waiting. keep it warm and see what appears.

I suspect you will be ok with moss and wood though.

Cheers

Marc
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjunky View Post
They dont tend to lay their eggs in moss or on wood afaik. They favour the stems of plants or floating material although some species drop their eggs onto the surface or into mud.
Marc
Thank you. I'm sorry you had to experience this but am very grateful for your sharing the knowledge.

~g
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

No worries. It wasnt the end of the world and has been an interesting experience.

I do regret the losses though.

Marc

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode