How to slow down Co2 mix? Too much Co2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to slow down Co2 mix? Too much Co2?

I setup a DIY yeast co2 a few days ago in a small 3g nano tank (Planted with HC & hairgrass, flourite black sub)

The water before the co2 had a very high PH (8.0+)
2 days after the co2 dosing, PH became extremely acidic..(under 6.0)! (referring to the PH/KH/Co2 chart, I think I am at 100ppm+ co2 level)

I run the Co2 in a 800ml bottle, with 1/4 spoon of yeast & 2 cups sugar. I am using a wood diffuser and I get about one bubble per second (without the diffuser).

I have 2 questions here:
1.) The tank is not stocked yet. Should I lower the Co2 dosing or do something about the PH? Can too acidic water / high Co2 content hurt the plants?

2.) Is there anyway I can slow down the Co2 mix / prolong its life? (i.e. add 1/8 spoon yeast? or add baking soda,...etc)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
Choco: Look into the Jello method. It might give you more stable results but on a small 3g tank some of the nano guys might have to chime in on their setups. I use a 64 oz (1.8 liter) bottle on a 20 gallon long with this method.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...o2-thread.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanx Mr.JG, I will give the jello mix a try

Another Question tho:
Usually at the end of the normal DIY yeast mix, is the "yeast" the first one to run out (thus no more co2 production), or is it the "sugar"? (Assuming 1/4 spoon yeast, + 1.5 cups sugar)

I.e: if your diy yeast mix no longer produce co2, will it start again just by adding yeast or sugar alone?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Find a needle valve and plumb it inline and adjust the flow as needed.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

IME with the jello normally its the yeast. Never done the regular mix. With the Jello method you can crack the top after 3 weeks or so and refresh with new yeast and a little water and be good for another few weeks.
You definitely want to look into getting a good drop checker so you truly do know when its time to change your mix entirely so you don't have to constantly test and check the chart (I think its been proven somewhat inaccurate anyway?). I got a bit lazy with mine a month ago and ended up starting to get a BBA outbreak. Fixed the CO2 and its gone.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

A needle valve on DIY CO2? You can't be serious?

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Find a needle valve and plumb it inline and adjust the flow as needed.

Mmmm...I'm gonna say that idea may result in a 2 liter bomb or other messy blow out.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Why not. A needle valve is used on many of DIY set ups. You have a check valve IM sure on your DIY. Why wouldn't that cause your "explosion"?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I guess its possible with weak bottles. I know many of people who have 2liter and AJ bottles with this set up.

Last edited by Green Leaf Aquariums; 04-01-2008 at 04:01 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Why not. A needle valve is used on many of DIY set ups. You have a check valve IM sure on your DIY. Why wouldn't that cause your "explosion"?
Because a check valve is supposed to stop water from going back into your solution, not restrict the flow of CO2 out, which with enough pressure will only make a smelly mess if you are lucky.

Choco, if you are getting too much CO2 in your tank, you could make a little more surface turbulence to off gas some.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes Taz, but they do require a cracking pressure. A needle valve would not stop but regulate flow. So here is exactly what Im talking about.. Check it..
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...rized-diy.html
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976
You'd need to "T" it. The needle valve could be used to regulate the amout of CO2 that you gas out into the ROOM, not to directly restrict flow into the tank. Probably not a good idea to allow the needle valve to cause pressure to build up in the DIY bottle.

Hmm...maybe use the needle valve to bleed the CO2 off into a balloon to be used later? Anyone know the CO2 permeability for balloons?

Sergio C.

-
-
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...rized-diy.html

This seemed to work well for this chap.
Surje, your tank is awesome!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Do this.... 800ml is almost 1L, just change your recipe.

1/16th tsp yeast
1c sugar

BAM your on track!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
IME the CO2 bubble rate from DIY CO2 depends on how much yeast you initially add.

Afterwards, it's a race between alcohol build-up killing your yeast, or yeast finishing the sugar fast enough.

If I add very little yeast, I can stretch a bottle to 3 weeks or so.
If I add a lot, it runs up in 2-3 weeks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode