New to plants - Help (pics) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
New to plants - Help (pics)

Hello everyone! I've kept fish for a good while but I'm a real newbie to live plants. Pics Below.

I bought an Amazon Sword, Hygrophila, and another small plant I'm not sure of the name of. They all looked pretty good for a while. They even started growing. They all have really good root systems still. But the foliage is going down hill.

The Amazon Sword leaves are getting holes in them, you can see through them, and the tips of the leaves are turning yellow.

The Hygrophilia is getting new growth at the top but the lower leaves are turning black around the edges and kind of curling up. And the growth on top is VERY light green.

And the other one (which hopefully someone can help me ID) is growing really good in the center, but the leaves that extend up aren't doing so well.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

PH 7.0
Nitrates 40
Nitrites NA
KH 4
Amonia 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 07:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Hello Matt, welcome to the board. Couple questions for you:

1. What size tank do you have?
2. What light system are you using? How many watts is it? (If your unsure check on the bulb/bulbs.
3. Are you adding any substances to try and help the plant growth?
4. What kind of substrate/gravel do you have?
5. How long have the plants been in your tank?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
Thank you!

It's a 75 gallon tank. I have 1 40 watt Power-Glo 18,000K light. I guess the substrate is just plain gravel. I've had it so long I don't have the package it came in. I've had the plants for about 2 or 3 months.

I haven't added anything yet. I don't know the first thing about that and I don't want to hurt the fish. I have:

1 Red Tail Shark
1 Rainbow Shark
2 Clown Loaches
3 Spotted Corydoras
1 Zebra Bottia
2 Golden Rams
2 Black Iridescent Swordtails
2 common plecs

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
It's probably your lighting and substrate. The lighting is extremely low (0.53 WPG), and the Swords are big root feeders. I assume your 75 gallon is 48 x 19 x 22? In this case, you'll want a strong lighting system such as this 48" one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...7&pcatid=13637
It may be pricey, but it'll provide approximately 3 WPG.

And for your substrate, you may want to consider Flourish Root Tabs or Flourish (the liquid fertilizer). They basically have the same nutrients in them, but it would be useful to have them both around.

EDIT: And it's the Kelvin temp. of your bulb. Plants like a bulb in the 6000-6700 Kelvin range OR 10000 Kelvin. 18K is meant for saltwater and corals.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
No need for a new fixture. just change the bulb. You are going to have some problems with dead undergrowth, but thats a small price for low tech.

Some root tabs will definetly help, and a light to moderate dosing regime could help here. I would go the seachem route and purchase some Excel, Potassium (this will help with the pinhole isue, but it won't undo the damage already done) and if your up to it, some Flourish.

A small dosing regime with those ferts could make you go a long way with a nice low tech setup. But the root tabs are a great place to start to help out the swords.

Note: the Hygro you have there looks to be Hygro Corymbosa which are notarious for pinholes and horrid undergrowth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Matt,

You'll have to do some searching on the forums to decide whats right for you. I came where your coming from a little over 2 months ago. I knew nothing about fresh water planted tanks, other than the fact that I wanted some!! ... I had to decide if a low tech tank or a high tech tank was better for me and my life style. They both have their pro's and con's.

I decided on going Low-Tech because A) I'm poor, B) I don't have time to be doing huge water changes daily and C) I don't feel comfortable starting off in the hobby with a high tech tank.

The forums have a wealth of information, just try searching them for whatever. Incase your interested, this is the method I'm going to attempt.

http://www.barrreport.com/articles/4...2-methods.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode