Hello! Plant ID? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello! Plant ID?

Hi there, my first time posting on this board, although I've been lurking off and on. I'm new to planted tanks (but not to aquariums in general), and let me tell you, I'm hooked!

It's a bit of an addiction, and I keep buying plants. I've had to stop for now, as I bought four more plants yesterday, and to fit them in the tank in a way that looked alright, I had to chuck a plant (my wysteria, which wasn't doing great anyway since the Angelfish thought it was lunch).

Luckily, I've got two more tanks coming in the next couple of months, so my addiction can continue

Anyway, I'd love an ID on a couple of plants. I've been all through Tropica's list and the one here, and couldn't find them:

This one was in pretty bad shape in the store, but has potential to look really nice. It's some sort of stem plant, and the leaves are fairly stiff:

This one is a total mystery. It's quite stiff, and reminds me of the branches of a pine tree - it's almost like pipe cleaner to touch. Each little plant in the group has it's own root coming out of the base, but there's no crown or visible rhizome, the bottoms are basically like rooted stem plants. It almost looks like something that should be attached to a rock or wood though? Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Does the second look like this? Resolution on this monitor sucks...

If so, it's elodea.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

nope, I'm familiar with elodea, and it's not that. The stems and branches of this plant are the diameter of a pipe cleaner or a pencil, including the needles/leaves. It's super stiff - if I hold it parallel to the ground, it stick straight out, doesn't droop at all. The little bristles on it are not quite as stiff as a pine needle, but close.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
The first looks like parrot feathers. The second one is a WTH? Are you sure its aquatic? is it growing perfectly?

I call dibs on it, if you want to sell or anything so i can study this plant.

One month in.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the ID on the first. Too soon to say if the 2nd will do well or not. Looks to be in really good shape, and every plant I've tried so far has flourished, so I'm optimistic. I'd guess it had been at the lfs for at least a couple of weeks, as the lower part of the plant is not as bright green as the top, which tells me the lower part wasn't getting enough light. The lfs these plants were from carries a nice selection, but the tank the plants are in is low-light, and he really packs them in there, so generally the bottom half of any plant I get from there is toast. At least on this one, it's not brown or mushy, so I think it will brighten up now that it's getting enough light.

I work all weekend, but I'll try to get a better pic of the 2nd plant, out of the tank with a size reference, by Monday

The tank I've got it in is a HEAVILY planted 90g with 136W T5 HO lighting, pressurized CO2, and sand for substrate, with a bit of fluorite sand mixed in.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Okay, here are some more pics of mystery plant:

This is one "stem", out of the tank, with my hand for size comparison. I have a half dozen of these "stems" planted together in the tank.

There's the base and roots

A shot that shows the new growth at the tip of each branch

A shot that shows some roots coming out of a branch at the top. This plant, while weird, really acts like a stem plant.

Back in the tank

And another size reference pic

So, what IS it?

Also, the leaves/needles are softer than I remembered (I don't think they changed, it was just the first thing I'd touched in the tank while planting the new plants, and the other plants, such as the red cabomba, were much softer). The leaves/needles feel somewhat "plastic-y", similar to elodea in texture, but much smaller and finer.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
I wonder what was the guy in the backround thinking =p

This is gonna be a real mystery looks pretty rare and coming from a LFS you say? Are u ever able to get more?

One month in.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 02:42 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
That is a really cool plant!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
I have the same thing. I have no idea what it is but it grows great in my tank. When I got mine the stems were only about 1-1 1/2in long. Now its about 3/4in around and reaches the top of my 90gal. Its a great little plant that has a very nice soft feel to it. And it grows and spreads great too. If you would like a start of it let me know. Im willing to let others get there hands on it to help ID it.

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

wow - it really looks like that clubmoss, but from what I can find, clubmoss is not aquatic. Glad to hear someone else has the same stuff and it's doing well. I'll have to see where mine goes. If it takes off and does well, I, too, am willing to share
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How about [I]Lycopodiella inundata[/I] (syn. Lycopodium inundatum) - Northern Bog Clubmoss/ Marsh Clubmoss?
This clubmoss seems to grow submersed (inundated) part of the year as well.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 03:39 PM

i'd be really surprised if that Lycopodium can make it long-term underwater.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
As for long term I have had it in my tank now for over a year. And its doing great and filling alot. To the point that I have to trim it about every two weeks. If there is anymore great plant ID'ers out there that would like to take there shot at IDing it let me know and I can trim some off for you. Sorry Im not trying to still there thread Im just trying to get a 100% ID on this one.

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

mine is hanging in there, and I *think* there's even some new growth - a bit too soon to say. If mine takes off, I, too, will be happy to share, if anyone wants to check the stuff out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode