Help needed for new project - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help needed for new project

Bit of a story here!

I have recently started losing interest in my tanks and so have sold a couple off. I'm now down to my 10 gal betta tank and my 90 gal tank. I've been wanting to change the stock of my 90 for a while to smaller fish but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of my Senegal Bichir (had it since it was tiny). Yesterday I got home and his head had been sucked into the bottom of a power head (which has been in there for months and looked far too small for him to get into!). I'm absolutely gutted and feel terrible that this could have been prevented but I've decided to get rid of the Oscar and Severum that shared the tank with him and go a completely different route to see if I can bring back my interest in fish keeping!

I've decided I want to go for a planted tank with both aquatic and semi aquatic/ferns or something along those lines. I like the idea of having the back and sides built up and panted with moss etc and a pool in the centre. I've had a planted tank before and it kept my interest more than any other tank I've had. I'm just wondering how I would go about making this pool in the middle of the 'land'? How would I go about filtering this small pool without messing up the whole look? I'd like to have a kind of waterfall with the water running through some moss or over some rocks and back into the pool, maybe some ledges coming out over the water. I'm completely new to this idea and without knowing what you would call a tank like this I can't search for other tanks for inspiration, so any pics or links would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Usually called vivariums. Some of the images on the link below will take you to sites that describe how these tanks are built and should answer most of your questions.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...riums&tbm=isch
Also try the thread on this site
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After doing a bit more research it seems that they're called paludariums. I knew what a vivarium was of course, just wasn't sure on the term for one that contained both water and land. Thanks for the help

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Does any expanding foam work or are there only certain types that are harmless to fish life? I'm in the UK and cant seem to find the Great Stuff brand. Also, if I silicone in a divider and add all of this foam, can it all be removed in the future if I decide to sell it on?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Can't answer for the brands and safety but on the removal, there is hope. Familiar with a razor blade scraper designed for scraping paint off windows? They are really a good tool for removing most anything from glass without scratching. I once bought a sump and tore it down to use as a breeding tank. There must have been a ton of silicone in it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode