Oh where, oh where, can he be? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Oh where, oh where, can he be?

Okay, so I received a really nice looking male ABN about 2+ weeks ago from a really nice forum member on here. I already had a female. I can always spot my brown female but for some reason I cannot spot the male and he is albino...his color definitely stands out in my tank...When I first got him, he was easily to spot....now...he isn't..I just did a large wc to get the poop from the 2 of them and he didn't come out.....is he somewhere hiding and what are the possibilities why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
You can try and turn out the aquarium light and the lights in the room and then use a dim flashlight to look for him in the aquarium after about an hour or so, they tend to come out more at night time in my aquarium. On the downside however, it has also been my experience that if a fish dies in my aquarium and I do not get it out quick enough something in my tank will eat it and it will just be gone.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
If you have wood in the tank most likely he is on it or in it somewhere. Males tend to hide in it during the day and come out at night. Its also possible he may be fanning eggs.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankat View Post
If you have wood in the tank most likely he is on it or in it somewhere. Males tend to hide in it during the day and come out at night. Its also possible he may be fanning eggs.
Yes I have big amount of driftwood......you know, I was thinking he might be guarding eggs also....hmmm...I been looking since the lights went out and I still haven't seen him...well if so I will be needing to find potential homes for when the little ones get old enough
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Odds are good that he is simply hiding. Bristlenose are one fish that I have a mixed feeling about. They are interesting enough to be one fish that attracts my granddaughter's attention. So ugly he's cute? But then he is rarely seen so it has become something of a game for her to spend time looking my tank over very carefully like a game of hide and seek. But then why do I keep a fish that I don't see?
One item I've also learned is that they are a hazard to themselves if I'm not carefull. Very easy to lay the rocks and wood out only to find later that a bristlenose is still clinging to it. They are one fish who do not always drop off when it leaves the water. I've killed a few just by letting them dry out in a pile of stuff on the floor.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hmmm well today I still haven't seen him and my female hides wayyy more than she ever has in 1.5 years
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Now that sounds rather like an opportunity! Maybe like a good expectant parent you should read up on what to do next? Do you need to pack a suitcase or what?
On the other hand they may already know what they are doing!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I decided to do a wc today and removed my dw to see if he was hiding and I still didn't find him...:-(
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 12:16 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
He is in there, don't worry. I have a small bristle nose hide for weeks on end and only saw him a few times at night on the glass. The tank was only 36 gallons and lightly planted, yet he still managed to escape my eye everyday for weeks. Also if you want them to mate maybe disturbing the driftwood often isn't a good idea.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode