I Need Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I Need Help

Hi Everyone,

I have recently started a new tank with plants that I got at my LFS. I have not been doing the planted tank thing very long so I do not know what the correct names are for the plants that I have. I do know however that the guy at the store told me that these plants should do ok without CO2 injection. Well itís been a little over on month now since I got started and it seems that the only thing that is growing very well is this hairy crap all over the leaves of my plants. I could really use a little advice on what to do. Also how long should it take to get the plants established? Below are the details of my set up and all the water parameters that I know.

58gl Oceanic
EHEIM 2076 Pro 3e Filter
Eco Complete, Flourite, and Flora Base
Driftwood
Duel 55watt Compact Florescent 1(10K)&1(6.5K)
Water:
PH 7.5
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5ppm
30% WC weekly
Flourish 1 cap full weekly or Leaf Zone

Click image for larger version

Name:	MainTank.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	5861

If anyone can tell me what my plants are from the picture I would appreciate it.

Thank You
Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 03:00 AM

You need more plant mass in that aquarium be it CO2 or non-CO2 setups. Plant at least 3-4 times what you currently have.

For non-CO2 setups, do not fertilize weekly as plant growth is really slow compared to CO2 setups. You really just need a rich substrate to get things going and feeding of your fishes to fertilize the plants.
Also, just topping up lost water will do.

Do a search on the forums for non-CO2 setups and you should get the hang of it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I did not know that I needed that many plants in the tank. I was afraid that if I put to many plants in without CO2 it would work out very well. I am really not wanting to go the CO2 route at least for now. $$$ Are there any bottom cover type plants that will do well in my type setup? What would be some other good plants that grow fast that I could put in there to increase the plant mass?
I really appreciate all the help.

Thanks,
Will

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 12:46 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hello Will and welcome to the forum.
You have just a few of what we call "slow growers" in there and those are probably showing your algae woes first.
For plants I see a sword (left)and some anubias(center), possibly some luwigia stems ?(center and left), and some vals (right corner) and some rotala.(back center). The rotala are your friend right now. Cut each of your long stems in half and stick the tops in the substrate to start new plants. The bottoms of those cut plants will then divide and throw out 2 stems of new growth. The more the better for a bit.
You shouldnt need CO2 and your lights are good but with that lighting your plants could be starving a bit. Do yourself a favor and read a bit here in the forum on fertilizing and you will be good to go. Great start on your tank !

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode