Day at the beach, came home with some goodies (driftwood) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Day at the beach, came home with some goodies (driftwood)

I don't know how i am going to use it all or if i will, but i really like them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
if you don't use them in a tank, they would make great wall art as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thats a neat idea

For the larger pieces can I bake them at low temp for like an hour or something instead of boiling?

I don't care about tannins. I will do wc's till things clear up

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 04:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

I run mine through the dishwasher with zero soap added, or place them in my 50g trash can and let them soak for a week or two.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Soak then bake if you want to do it that way.
Fresh water beach? Then there should not be a salt issue.

Here is another way to kill possible pathogens from fresh water:
Soak the driftwood, then put it in a clear plastic bag and set it in the sun. The sun will heat it through the bag (the same way your car gets hot sitting in the sun) and it can get hot enough to boil off the water and kill most microorganisms.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 08:50 PM
Algae Grower

nice pieces of wood there.

on the topic of driftwood, if it was obtained from a beach with saltwater, is there any way to make it useable and get all the salt out?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Keeping in mind that many meds and treatment for ich have salt, does the salt really harm most fish or plants in the small quanity that would be left after a rinse? I've never collected from saltwater but many do use salt to treat for ich. Some do promote the idea of using salt all the time but that seems extreme to me.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 10:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Those are some awesome pieces, I hope to find some nice drift wood for some moss trees this summer when I go to the beach. A question posed above about is salt is bad to fish or plants, the answer is yes and no, in small doses salt is actually good for your plants and your fish, many fertilizers contain salt. As long as you aren't adding a ton of salt you will be okay. I have read online that salt can also help combat hair algae and some parasites.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 10:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

my QT (10g) gets a table spoon of salt each time I put a fish in it.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you do a couple soakings with water changes (generally standard procedure for wood, just to get tannins out and get it waterlogged), that should remove pretty much any salt traces. Only thing is you need to get all the wood (or most of it submerged) at once.

If you have 1/2 of it sticking out of the water, it can create a wick effect, and water will creep up and evaporate, leaving the salt behind in that exposed piece.

I've used ocean-collected driftwood in a few tanks, I just do a pretty long soak with frequent water changes, and haven't had a problem. I used a multimeter to test conductivity of the water as a half-assed attempt to try and measure salt content, and the conductivity did decrease a bit over the week with 1-2 daily water changes.

Also tried tasting the wood :P
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This came from freshwater beach. The wood hasn't leeched any tannins. I boiled and rinsed then bolted to sheets of slate 24*12 two pieces which is now burning in my substrate. Follow my journal of my tank to see pics.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode