Boiled driftwood all day still massive tannin release! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Boiled driftwood all day still massive tannin release!

Hi there,

I boiled my mapani driftwood all day and the tanins are still pouring out of it, the water looks like red/brown coke a cola, should I keep boiling it? also when buying mesh for attaching moss to rocks how big should the holes be and is that the same for riccia? and can I mix aquaclay with gravel if i need a bit more volume?

Regards Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
I've never been able to boil until the water was clear. I give it a good boil, soak for a while, and then rely on Purigen to filter out any residual tannins once it's in the tank.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

I think I will keep going today the way I figured I will be less tannins in my tank but am I doing harm to the wood?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Quote:
Originally Posted by duzzy View Post
... am I doing harm to the wood?
No need to worry about damaging the wood. I boiled mine for a good while, but eventually stopped from the standpoint of energy usage, driftwood tea wasn't the most lovely scent for a kitchen either.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

cool thanks, been boiling it outside but I know what you mean, today ought to do the job :-) then soak in aquarium water and see how it goes.

Thanks

Regards Darren
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
No need to worry about damaging the wood. I boiled mine for a good while, but eventually stopped from the standpoint of energy usage, driftwood tea wasn't the most lovely scent for a kitchen either.

yummmmyyyy

Destinee
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 10:17 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
This is how I soaked my mopani. I used one of those large Igloo coolers with a drain plug on the bottom. I placed it in the bathtub and drained it every morning while I was showering and filled it back up when I was done. I was able to keep my soapy water out of it by closing the lid. Took about 4 weeks, but I didn't have to lug water anywhere and I was able to refresh the water daily.
It wasn't always pleasant to shower with an Igloo cooler, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I boiled my mopani driftwood for about 8 hours, changing the water every 90 mins or so. There was always a ton of tannins with very minimal decrease. But it got to a point where I just stuck it in the tank and hoped for the best. I have not had any problems with tannins leaching and I do a water change once a week.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
i run all my driftwood through the dishwasher. I've not had any tannins from any wood after 2 cycles.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all, I have now boiled it for about 6 hours going to boil it all day tmw then thats it. Found some awesome thinner driftwood pieces in the creek on my walk this morn cant wait to get this tank going. The pieces found this morn were too big and odd shaped so i used the steam cleaner to steralize them.

Regards Darren
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 10:02 PM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
I boiled mine for days straight, and the water constantly looked like mud even after water changes. Upon putting them into my tank not a single tannin was released as far as I could tell, the boiling water is amazing in the sense that it really takes everything out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 12:17 AM

I found i got my best results brewing it like ice tea.

After boiling it a couple of times i just set it out by my patio doors, inside so it stays nice and warm. The sun seems to cook the tanins out fairly well.

After a week of stewing with daily water changes i get the tanin levels down to a tolerable level.

Marc
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 01:40 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Boiling wood increases the tanin output, it will not leach like that in a tank.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 01:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

Kana, did your toes change color?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

I am still boiling figure why not keep going while waiting for the gravel to get here, cant boil one section of one piece no matter how i try it wont fit in out largest pot.

I do like so water coloring in tank but not massive stains....

thanks all

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode