Which is the better tank to go with for a long-style iwagumi? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Which is the better tank to go with for a long-style iwagumi?

I have space in my living room for a long tank, maximum of 4 ft. But the width can really only be not much wider than 12 or 13 inches. This pretty much limits me, but I have noticed that glasscages has a rimless tank they call a 45 gallon that fits this description. Or, I could probably save some money and go with a neighbor's 3 ft. 30 gallon long. But the 4 foot would probably be nicer since I could potentially have more room for the proposed school of espe's rasboras, but then maybe it will offset the illusion of depth as compared with a 3 foot tank.

Am I making sense here? Can anyone offer me some suggestions? The thing is, I want a long tank, and it's going to be an iwagumi with petrified wood. Just planning on using nothing but an undecided carpet plant, with a few "highlights" of hair grass here and there. That being said, do I even *need* to worry about the illusion of depth? Or will a 4 foot tank that only comes out 1 foot from the wall be as cool as I think it will be, in my mind's eye?

I am overthinking this on purpose-- I've never done an iwagumi, and I've never done a long-style tank.

Any suggestions, experiences, pros and cons, whatever, are HIGHLY encouraged. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm not expert on iwagumi or long tanks, but I like the look of longer tanks.

It seems that with a wider tank, aquascaping becomes much, much easier. I am stuck with mostly 12-13 inch widths on all my tanks and I try to be creative to make it look deeper. Next time I would like to try a wider tank.

What I do is slope the back with more substrate than the front. I found that the steeper it is, the more trippy it is, making it look really deep. Also, using a dark background will make it look like the tank is trailing off into the horizon instead of being 1 foot. Hmm.. what else? The hardscape also helps the illusion.

Iwagumi-inspired aquascapes shouldn't be too hard to do, but it's really hard to make it look excellent.

The hardest part is playing around w/ the hardscape arrangements, but I think after you have the scape settled, it's just a matter of the carpet plants. You can play around with the arrangement until you have it just right.

Good luck, that's all the stuff I know as a beginner.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

^ Thanks dekstr! That's the kind of info I'm looking for.

Anyone else?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 02:40 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Paint the background black and slope the substrate. I would do 3 large rocks, and many small ones, Put 2 of the large ones in a pile with some small ones on one side and one rock by itself on the other side with small rocks all over the tank. You could go with dwarf hairgrass and large rocks b/c your tank will be tall and just not trim it. But you will need tall rocks.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
I'm a newbie to Iwagumi too, just received some very nice pieces of petrified rock the other day for my own little project, though it'll be a few months before I really begin. The comments below are simply my perception of the style after having done some reading about it.

In researching the style, it seems the most important overall aspect is the use of the golden ratio/section. That's why, to many including myself, the ADA 60-P aquariums are so attractive, it is almost perfectly in proportion horizontally to vertically. Following that ratio for placement of the rocks will also add almost instant beauty points.

With Iwagumi the rocks themselves really are the most important factor inside of the tank, poorly chosen rocks will definitely detract from the beauty points.

If the rocks aren't in proportion to the tank it's not going to look quite right, you'll find that a lot when others are saying 'the rocks are too small' in the Photo Album, but you'll also see examples of the rocks being far too large and overpowering.

In answer to which aquarium would be better, as you might have guessed by now, I say whichever one is most 'correctly' proportionate in regards to the golden ratio, provided the height isn't so great as to be a detriment.

I hope that helps.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

^ It definitely does. I appreciate it! I'm learning as I go here, and I'm forever doing my homework... anyone else have any gems of wisdom for me?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I don't really have any experience with it, although my tank sorta kinda looks like it could be iwagumi. But, I do remember one tank done by the Senskes that stood out in my mind. Rocks do age and change color. Sometimes, rocks the look like they don't belong in the tank age into beautiful pieces. This was the case in the tank I'm thinking of. I will do a search for it.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode