Anyone with a artistic eye care to help? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Anyone with a artistic eye care to help?

Just got some plants in today.. wisteria and hygro sunset.. I have no idea were to put it. I just stuck it in for right now and my fish are going nuts picking at it. Anyone with artistic eyes care to help me place them in good spots? I know the gravel isent the best for them and I plan on buying eco-complete in a week or two. Thanks!

Sorry, I'm not a real good photographer. If you need more pictures let me know..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
IMO: There are not enough plants to work with, the tank needs a whole lot more.

For the plants you do have there, maybe clump them all together with the shorter plants in front and taller ones in the back?

Last edited by Ashok; 02-06-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Plant the stem plants of the same species 3 to a hole. It would make it look more 'full'. The taller stem plant should be used in the corner with the heater. It will help hide it out of sight. The wisteria can be placed on the other side or in the center back of the tank. The Hygro can be planted in the other side or in back center with the wisteria.

Get a nice centerpice driftwood and put that in there. Some midground plants(crypts, blyxa, lotus, etc.) would help cover up those nasty parts of the stem. Maybe get a black background.

EDIT: Get alot more background plants of what you already got and some Vallisneria(for one of the corners, its a cool plant lol).

~James~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Planted Member

Im no Guru but i'll give you my advice

Since you are replacing the gravel make sure that with the Eco you create a sloping effect from the front to back to create a look of greater depth. you can also experiment with side to side slope to try and create terrain to compliment your plants and fish (eg. higher denser part of the tank with a lower open part).

As far as the plants go, I would try to group them together with like plants as it looks more natural. I also hope that you are planning on getting some more plants because you are a little bare as is

A third recommendation would be to acquire an interesting focal point (wood, rock ,plant or a combo of the three). It will make the tank more aesthetically pleasing while providing something fun for your fish to explore. I imagine your puffers would really like that seeing that they are very smart and get bored without something to do.

Filstar Pimp #130

My 55G:
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
plus your making things hard with so little plant mass .order online and get loads at once and then you will not have such a hard job when balancing the tank
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I ordered some ludwigia repens and Cabomba yesterday. I plan to order ludwigia cuba and pantanal in about 2 weeks after I get the eco complete. I'm kind of broke right now to order anything else until I get the eco complete. lol

So what you are saying is about 3 of the stems of moneywort each hole, and the same for the rest?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok I redid all of it. It does give a nicer fuller effect. When the tank clears up I'll take a picture for more suggestions.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
Some well placed driftwood or rock formations go a long way to making things look a little more natural/fuller.

Pretty much the same thing that mrbman7 and everyone else said above. Pack that puppy with some plants!

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I wouldn't necessarily go to an online retailer. Check the swap and shop here and at APC.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
...or your friendly local fish shop probably has some good plants available. Just be wary when buying "packaged" plants from places like Petsmart, etc. I know that TopFin has a line of plants they sell in tubes emerged and half of the plants in that line are not aquatic plants at all.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Mondo grass

Everyone on this forum has had mondo grass at one point.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, I'm going to take a updated picture. I'll post it in a few.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry, my batteries died in my camera or I would of got more pictures.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What size tank is this? 46g bowfront? I've got the feeling that it is not big enough for those clown loaches. Clown loaches get to be like, over a foot. They're fine for now, just keep that in mind.

As for scaping, I'd draw up some sketches first. Here are some places for inspiration:

Amano:
http://www.adgshop.com/
http://www.adana.co.jp/index_e.php
http://www.aquaristics.com/ada-gallery.php

Knott:
http://www.plantella.com/

Navarro:
http://www.mynatureaquariums.com/index.htm

Dutch:
http://www.aquabotanic.com/dutchsecrets.htm
http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/02/...aquariums.html
http://www.barrreport.com/articles/2...-articles.html

Here's an article on basic aquascaping:
https://www.plantedtank.net/articles/...-Technique/27/

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Some of those links don't work. I definitaly can't draw, lol. But I'll read some of them that do work..

Any more suggestions? Do the plants look fine for now?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode