Cube Garden 60-P Vs Cube Garden 60-H "clear" ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
Cube Garden 60-P Vs Cube Garden 60-H "clear" ?

Hi, I'm planning to buy an aquarium from ADGshop, and i came across to these aquariums. The Cube Garden 60-P and 60-H "Clear", i couldn't decide which one to get. the first one cost $95, and the "Clear" one cost $375. what a big difference in the price .
I would like to know if anyone have the "Clear" one? and give some comment about it.
and what's the difference comparing to the regular 60-P?
is it worth it?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
adgshop.com has the 60-P "Clear" for $195, if you weren't aware. Comparing the 60-H and 60-P is a bit of an orange and tangerine comparison.

Part of the price increase for the "H" version is that it's taller and by virtue of that has thicker glass. So, you wouldn't need the "H" version just for the "Clear" glass.

I'm planning on getting the 60-P "Mist" in the next month or so, thus I've been looking at them a lot, but I've never seen the difference between the low-iron "Clear" glass and the regular clarity. Thus I can't answer that particular question, but if you want the very best though, only "Clear" will do, right?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I would like to know how clear that the "Clear" version is comparing to the regular one. if it's only a minor that we can hardly see the difference, then i rather stick with the regular one and save me some money on something else.
So, anyone know?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I have an ADA Mini-M that was only $50 I believe, and it looks virtually clear to me so maybe the "clear" tanks are for those with vary thick wallets/show tank use or those with very discerning taste in glass clarity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lol, that's what i think also, i would stick with the regular one.
thanks
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
I believe the clear version uses low iron glass (similar to whats sold in the states as Starphire). Having seen low iron glass tanks in person, I can say that my next big display tank will at least have a starphire front pane on it. The difference is remarkable.

reefs.org - starphire vs regular glass thread

-Charlie

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 06:58 PM
planted tank sickness

PTrader: (14/100%)
the 60P and 90P dimensions fit the golden ratio perfectly, they were designed to do just that by ADA, and were the first 2 tank sizes made by ADA for sale to the general public.

the difference between the glass clarity is quite noticeable in person, probably impossible to tell the difference from photos posted online, but for most cases I think the P series will work just fine.

lastly, the additional height of the 60H is gonna be a challenge for most aquascapes, and is really more suited to an angelfish tank.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think the 60H is better when you have substrate, rock, driftwood, and other stuff that take up the height. don't you think?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 09:14 PM
planted tank sickness

PTrader: (14/100%)
no i dont. ive seen the 60H in person, and to me its an awkward size for aquascaping. but ofcourse, its all about preference. unless you plan to make full use of the height of the tank with very tall hardscape, you are gonna have a wierd horizon to the aquarium. remember, the horizon of the scape should be roughly 1/3 of the way down into the tank.

i would stick with the tried and true. if you are hesitant to buy the 60 cause its a more "common" tank and other people use it more, remember its not because its cheap. its cause the tank looks amazing, even empty. i LOVE the 60P & 90P dimensions.. they lend themselves excellently to multiple layout syles. i think they are also 2 of the most common sized aquariums entered into the ada contest.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 02:56 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
The low iron clear glass is kind of a waste on smaller tanks where you don't have really thick glass to look through. I'd base my choice on what I wanted the tank to look like when I was done since they are actually different sizes.

(pick the 90P)

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 02:49 AM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
What about an 8mm glass 75P, I love mine, its got the depth and the height of the 90P, and a front and back panel 6" wider than the 60P. It's a great size tank for the money. Basically take 6" off the width of the 90P and you've got a 75P, which is $100 cheaper than the 90P. Why pay $100 for 6 inches? especially when the 75P is $200 and the 90P is $300?

Not to hijack the thread or anything, so if you want my advice on the two 60cm variations, I say 110% go for the 60P and not the H, use the extra money you save for a nice MH Pendant and some b-e-a-utiful lily pipes and an ADA diffuser... and don't forget a nice eheim!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode