Too much/little light... could this work? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Too much/little light... could this work?

Ok so now that I've started to rearrange everything in the tank an odd thought came to me. Can I use different light intensities in the same tank?

Cause the thing is that the anubias are getting this kind of hard black/green algae that comes from, I believe, too much light. That being said, I have too much of it attached to a rock too big to be removed, I need to keep it.

On the other hand, I have other plants(names unknowned for now) that do seem to require more light.

Hence the question: Can I have half the tank under something like 1.8 wpg and the other half with close to twice that amount. BTW I do realise that the wpg rule is not perfect, I use it only to illustrate the idea.

Educate me please,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Algae Grower

I have never tried it, but what if you used something like a screen directly under the part of the light you want to be less intense?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Your algae problem may not be totally light related. It can be a lack of co2, fertilizers, poor water quality etc. We need some tank specs and then we can help more. Try posting how long you run your lights, if you use fertilizers, co2 and so on. The more info the better.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

True, who knows, maybe someone will know how to get rid of it (it's a problem i've had for the past year or so).

It is a fairly planted tank with diy co2, quite constant with 2 bottles. Using plant tabs, brand ferts (flourish? i'll go with powdered ferts soon enough) and a mix of 3 13w powercompacts 6500k and 2 20w fluo tubes, pink but I can't recall the k. Lights on between 9 and 11 hours a day. ooo yeah it's a 30gallons

Specs are ok afaik, I have 15 ish for nitrates, nothing for nitrites or ammonia.
I do have to dose iron and potassium more often than I thought...

And yes there is a cleanup crew of 6 amano shrimps, 4 ottos, 2 sae, an ancistrus i think and a loach for snails cause I had an infestation.

The light is partly covered by some sort of floating plant, a penny-something I believe but still, nothing, algae on the anubias....

That's why i'm considering lowering the lights....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You could cut your light time to 9 hours, 11 may be too much. Your co2 is probably good but don't hold me on that, I never messed with diy. I would switch to dry ferts as asap and dose EI. I was getting that algae on my crypts, dosing EI and upping the co2 did it for me.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't think that too much light is the issue. I do agree that your photo period is a bit long, try to cut it to 8 or 9 hours. It doesn't look like you are bottoming out on nitrates, which is good.

How many plants do you have in the tank? Would you say it is lightly, moderately, or heavily planted? You seem to be on the right track. Could you find out what fertilizers you are using specifically? How are you dosing your potassium (I ask this because if you use KNO3 to dose potassium, you might increase the nitrate level too much).

My guess is that it is still somehow related to CO2. I know you have 2 DIY bottles going, and it might constantly produce CO2, but how much is in the tank is a different story. How are you diffusing it (diffuser, ladder, reactor, etc)? What kind of filter are you running (outgassing)? I would also recommend EI, just because it is an easy way to dose. Your tank sounds pretty good. One thing I'd be a little concerned about are the SAEs. They do grow quite large and may become a little aggressive. But, they are supposed to eat BBA. Try starving them a little and see if they eat it. Good luck with your algae

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode