Lack of intelligent life on Craigslist... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Lack of intelligent life on Craigslist...

Seems like every time I get on Craigslist and search for aquariums, there's always a post for someone selling "live rock". On the majority of those posts the pic is of a dusty box of rocks out in the garage. Do the majority of people that buy live rock really have no clue? I keep wanting to tell them all that unless it's in an aquarium and being kept up (lights/filters/food etc) it's just rock. And to add injury to insult, they still want to charge you like it's premium cured stuff straight from Fiji.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I suspect that what you are seeing is not so much "Lack of intelligent life on Craigslist" as it is deliberate fraud. If they find someone stupid enough to buy it at a high price, they do well. Obviously anyone that knows a thing or two is going to ignore the ad.

Consider too all the ads you see that the person is asking almost new prices for used equipment. Usually not fraud, but most people that are knowledgeable will ignore them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Haha I see that all the time!! Its amazing some people actually fall for it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 02:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Its rare that you can fine good tank deals on craigslist but I keep looking anyways. So far I have gotten 2 decent deals over the past 2 years. A custom 5' 90g reef ready black back glass for $130 and a 125g for 60 bucks that was scratched up a bit and will be used as a plant only growout so I took it.

I see tons of rip offs though. 90% of the time your better off building your own stand and buying a brand new tank. Most asking prices are ridiculous and I can't do anything but skip it, shake my head and go to the next sale.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Maybe it is a surplus of intelligence. Maybe they know it isn't live, yet they list it as that to get more views on their listing and possibly trick an unintelligent person into buying it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
An update...today I actually saw someone with a post selling:

40 gallon breeder with black stand and 60 pounds of (dead) live sand (black), used for a few months.

At least they're being honest...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I love seeing all the 10g tanks with stand and equipment for like a hundred bucks. Or 55g tanks for with stands for 400. I got my 46g bowfront that was mint with the stand on the side of the road with a free sign on it. Craigslist sux.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 12:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Craigs list is ok IF:
1. You know specifically looking for
2. You know how much it costs new

I have bought a few things on Craigs list and it is comical how much people ask for things.

I myself would never pay ahead of time. I will meet them and then I pay cash.

My tank journal:

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I see the "live Rocks" in someones garage outside their aquariums and have to laugh each time. But I LOVE CRAIGSLIST!!! I just found someone yesterday who was selling a 125 gallon tank in perfect condition with all the stuff with it for $160 but I called them 5 minutes after someone else had already called them so I didn't get it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew. View Post
I see the "live Rocks" in someones garage outside their aquariums and have to laugh each time. But I LOVE CRAIGSLIST!!! I just found someone yesterday who was selling a 125 gallon tank in perfect condition with all the stuff with it for $160 but I called them 5 minutes after someone else had already called them so I didn't get it.
That's the thing with Craigs list, when you do find a good deal you have to be very quick.

That's why I keep some cash on hand and I am always looking. I'm not sure what I'm looking for most of the time, but I'm looking anyway.

My tank journal:

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode