Suggestions on a Water Pump to Remove Water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Suggestions on a Water Pump to Remove Water

Im planning on getting a pump to put in one of my bathtubs to empty water from my multiple tanks. I have a python but dont like running the water to remove the water. I siphon it currently and getting tired of emptying and carrying 5 gal water buckets. Anyone else use a pump to remove their water? Im looking for something strong to save time with water removal. Any suggestions or experiences you want to share would be appreciated, thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
For me gravity provides plenty of water movement. I wouldn't think you'd need a pump to drain the tanks down.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, gravity doesnt work fast enough for me and some of my tanks sit low to the ground. I also have 20+ tanks which is why I need a more effective method.

+
+
+

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Last fall I ran pvc pipe to all my tanks so I could at least drain them without having to lug things around. Now with a simple turn of a valve they all drain, one siphon and one valve per tank. If you need to pump the water you can just put the pump anywhere you like in the line. You just need to figure out the head pressure.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well my original idea is to use a submersible pump and 30' hose. I have tanks in my fish room, office, fish bathroom, and indoor garden. Wouldnt really want to run that much PVC.

+
+
+

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have 10 tanks in the basement. Just plumbing those together has saved me a huge amount to time and effort. Assuming you just did the Fish Room you would be way ahead.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah would be good if it was for one room. But my tanks are pretty split up and Im wanting to get a 125 or something ridiculous like a 300 in my office. My time and energy is very limited and if Im going to put forth effort I need it to be as versatile, effeicent, and functionable as possible. Im sure theres a utility pump or mag drive out there that would work. I was just wondering if anyone else has a similar setup or suggestions on pumps. Thanks for the idea, though.

+
+
+

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 11:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've seen lots of good reviews on the Wayne's transfer pump. I have ordered one, but haven't gotten it yet. You might check that one out. :-)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hmm looked at it but I dont think you can put the whole thing in water. The unit will have to stay in my bathtub and will prolly get really wet. Looks like my best bet would prolly be a 2400gph magdrive....

+
+
+

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 10:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I have the same problem as you as some of my tanks are directly on the floor, luckly I had a hydor pico pump laying around and its outlet jams in perfectly into the hose I use for water changes so I it has made water change day much easier/faster

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I use an aqua clear power head for the ones I have in my indoor garden because I have room to just stick it in there but unfortunately I can't use that method with all my tanks. Plus, it's not as fast as I would like it too be. I want it to pull the water out fast!

+
+
+

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/86%)
Cobalt inline pump cut the python close to a plug, reattach the python to the inline pump Wham bam you got a power python.

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I drain the tanks that are higher up into a plastic storage bin, use this water to clean the filter, then pump it out to the garden. I use a fountain pump that can move about 200-300 gph. I attach a garden hose and trail that through the house. If I want to pump water directly out of the tank I wrap the intake so the fish cannot get trapped.

Lower tanks (usually smaller) I will use a small fountain pump to empty (again, into the tote). Since these tanks are smaller, a pump of around 100 gph is as fast as I would want to go.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have 2 Mag pumps and love them as you can put them in water or outside tanks. I have 1 pump in a storage tank to pump new water into the aquarium and the other is attached to my python hose to remove water.
If you want to vacuum the gravel as you remove water, a 700 is good.

If you goal is straight water changes, you might want something a little higher than a 700. Anything below a 700 is too slow in my opinion.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlest View Post
Cobalt inline pump cut the python close to a plug, reattach the python to the inline pump Wham bam you got a power python.
Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk
Wham bam a power python! Thats what Im wanting. I think Im gonna turn it up a notch and go with the 2400 mag drive and give it a test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I drain the tanks that are higher up into a plastic storage bin, use this water to clean the filter, then pump it out to the garden. I use a fountain pump that can move about 200-300 gph. I attach a garden hose and trail that through the house. If I want to pump water directly out of the tank I wrap the intake so the fish cannot get trapped.

Lower tanks (usually smaller) I will use a small fountain pump to empty (again, into the tote). Since these tanks are smaller, a pump of around 100 gph is as fast as I would want to go.
I like this idea, especially with the recycling of water in a sense. I used to water some of my plants with my aquarium water but learned that my plants were getting robbed of nutrients. Living in Indianapolis we have very mineral rich water and the tanks would absorb it and leave nothing for the plants and they started going downhill so I quit doing that and they eventually bounced back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laconic View Post
If you goal is straight water changes, you might want something a little higher than a 700. Anything below a 700 is too slow in my opinion.
Enough said Mag drive 2400 on the way maybe too much but will see. Worse comes to worse Im working on a pond in the backyard this summer and I will just use it there. Im gonna use it for straight water changes and put a filter intake on the end. I cant remember the last time I actually vacuumed the bottom of a tank. Usually only time I do is if Im completely reseting it. Iver gone years without ever having too. What size of tanks are you emptying with yours?

+
+
+

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode