glowlite tetra problems? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
glowlite tetra problems?

i have 3 glow-lites in my 10 gallon and one seems to have an area on its top behind the eyes and infront of the top fin that looks like a white color...not see through like the rest of it's body. The others are all see-through and do not have this coloring...this wasn't there before so i hope it isnt a parasite or something...this blob almost looks solid like a piece of rice in it but thicker. thanks for the help in advance...

G-mont all the way!

55 gal planted, 10 gallon electric yellow cichlid fry tank (gone), 18 gal electric yellow cichlid mouth brooder holding tank (gone), and soon to be a 55 gallon pimpin discus tank (workin on it)!

my journal link:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92% of teens have switched to rap music- if your part of the other 8%, add this to you're signature!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 06:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sounds like it may be ich. I would definitely quarantine that little guy quickly and keep and eye on the other fish in the 10 gal. You may end up having to treat the entire tank if it's too late. Research for Ich and look at photos and compare to see if that's what you also have. It looks like a white dot, usually on the body or fins of the fish. Starts with just one dot, but multiplies to a lot more. It is fatal unless treated early as it is a parasite that multiplies quickly.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Actually, that sounds more like columnaris than anything else to me, if I'm reading it right, it's sort of like a white patch in front of the dorsal fin? The little guy is probably done for, but there are some weaker strains that some fish actually can overcome.

Google image search for columnaris or 'body fungus' and see if the photos look like what your fish exhibits. If it is you'll want to give appropriate medications as soon as possible.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 04:12 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
Does it appear to be deep inside of the fishes body or attached to the scales?

My glo lights would get hard lumps under their skin. After one died, I cut it open and the lump was like a hard little stone.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Interesting, fish cancer maybe? I've never noticed anything like that on (in) mine, though as they get older they're definitely less transparent.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 08:48 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
wow! one of those is really dark
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
it is deep in the body and is above the middle line in the body infront of the top fin if that helps...im kind of agreeing with fish cancer even though i have never heard of it before...

G-mont all the way!

55 gal planted, 10 gallon electric yellow cichlid fry tank (gone), 18 gal electric yellow cichlid mouth brooder holding tank (gone), and soon to be a 55 gallon pimpin discus tank (workin on it)!

my journal link:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92% of teens have switched to rap music- if your part of the other 8%, add this to you're signature!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Provided the fish is otherwise behaving normally I personally wouldn't worry about it, it may well be some sort of tumor, or a calcification of some sort; seems similar to what kana has experienced with hers. I do think I'm going to take a good close look at all my Glowlights tomorrow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode