mazzei injector? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
mazzei injector?

Is the mazzei suppoesed to make a whistling sound?

If you disconnect the co2 tubing will water come out?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

any mazzei users out there?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

?????????????

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Ive never owned one, but Im surprised nobody has chimed in.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 04:33 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjero View Post
Is the mazzei suppoesed to make a whistling sound?

If you disconnect the co2 tubing will water come out?

thanks
I've never used one. However, they're just nicely engineered venturis. If you have the right flow rate through the thing then there should be suction at the venturi port. Water shouldn't come out if you disconnect the CO2 hose, air should be sucked in. Dunno about whistling. For your sake, I hope they're not supposed to whistle.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 03:09 AM

PTrader: (29/100%)
I use a Mazzei 384P. There should not be a whistling sound, but there may be a bit of a "chirp" from time to time as the injector draws in a bubble of CO2 and injects it into the water. The noise is caused by the gas hitting the fast stream of water flowing through the injector.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Question What pump to use for Mazzei 1/2 inch 384 venturi plumped inline?

I just bought a mazzei 1/2 on ebay It's a 384. The docs on mazzei's website say 200gph flow for it. I plan on plumbing it inline with a pump just for it. I've got too much stuff inline with my cannister already.

Do you all think the eheim 1084 pump:

1048 158 gph 4'11" 10W 1/2" 1/2" 5.8"x3.0"x4.7" 2.0 lbs

Will work for it? Or do you all use something else?

~ Kayakbabe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
use a pump with a higher head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Junkie
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

a higher head? like how high?
I read that the mazzei needs a 20% pressure differential to work. Is there a pump you would suggest instead? I was looking at Iwaki's but they don't have one that is low enough flow for this injector it would blow the mazzei apart. Not a pretty scenario.

~ Kayakbabe
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I read that the mazzei needs a 20% pressure differential to work
Thats the minimum required, if performance it what you are after then higer will be better.

Quote:
I was looking at Iwaki's but they don't have one that is low enough flow for this injector it would blow the mazzei apart. Not a pretty scenario.
hahaha...this will not happen, the more pressure flow you can push through these the better. I use a Panworld 150PS on my 90gal and I created a loop for my 384P Mazzei.

The Junkie
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't want to create a loop, just a simple inline installation is all I'm looking for.
So I just need a pump which will drive this but not overdrive it.

~ Kayakbabe
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 05:13 AM

I run my 384P inline with my canister. There is enough pressure diffreence to make it work, but the bubbles are not as fine as they could be with a pump with a higher head. Though the 384P is "rated" at about 200 gph, it won't flow that much at the pressures we are talking about achieving in an aquarium install. More like 50-100 gph. So to avoid choking all of the flow you would get out of your canister, it really is necesarry to install it as Mazzei suggests i.e. with a bypass controlled by a ball valve.

It is really easy to make an appropriate manifold, just go to home depot, get some pvc and fittings, and 30 minutes later, viola, mazzei manifold. Then you can control how much or how little flow is directed through the Mazzei, and how much bypasses it. If you are not getting enough pressure to make the mazzei function properly, then close the valve more. If you are getting too little flow to the aquarium, then open the valve more (or get a bigger pump if you cannot get both enough flow and enough pressure to properly atomize the CO2). I would take a pic of mine, but it is behind my stand and a pain to get at, let me know if you have more questions about it though.

Greg
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 05:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

my loop

The Junkie
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 05:28 AM

I also realized that neither of us have really answered your question, we have been focusing more on plumbing it inline. While I agree with Mrkroom, you should use as high a head pump as you can with a Mazzei, I saw decent results with a pump similar to the Eheim 1084 you are considering when I had mine running on a separate pump. Just to have fewer things running in and out of the aquarium though, I wanted mine to run inline with everything else.

Also, if you do decide to run it inline, you really only need one ball valve. Save yourself the $6.00 they cost at Home Depot. The 2 in Mrkroom's loop are redundant.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

why would i even need a single ball valve, to run it in line. that doesn't make sense

why would I even need a single ball valve ? that doesn't make sense to me. running it inline means I do not shunt water off into another pipe. there isn't anywhere else to go except to the outflow. but this is getting off topic. I am guessing that the 200 gph rating means that is the max flow to put through the mazzei. the high head on the pump refers to how it will keep pumping (maintain flow) against back pressure?

if that is why high head is desirable that makes sense since I imagine the restriction of the venturi would cause a restriction.

Any suggestions on a better pump to use, just a pump. I do not want another cannister nor a manifold.

~ Kayakbabe

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode