My 10G planted problems - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
My 10G planted problems

Hello to all!! I am at a bit of a dilema if I could plant my 10G or not. I have MAJOR plant eating\destroying fish......I currently have 1 male Albino African Clawed Frog, 1 Male? calico fantail goldfish, and a GINOURMOUS plant eating machine known as a golden mystery snail. In my tank I have BIG marbles....so that the fish cant eat them :-), 6 plastic plants, 2 silks attached to an ornament and a silk? fake floating waterlily...the tanks equipment (current is as follows...(yes, It can be changed at anytime!) a 10G wal*mart tank, aquatech 10-20 filter, aquaculture bubble wand, and hood holding 1(2 later!) 10W CF light bulbs, a glass thermometer, and a hawkeye airpump. I plan to:
--replace the filter with an Aqua-Clear 30 with foam, floss, carbon, etc.
--Add another 10W CF bulb
--CLEAN THE TANK! when I get new stuff!(i do do a 75% weekly WC and clean the filter!)
--Replace the bubble wand with a bubble stone!
--get a new airpump
--replace BIG rocks with good gravel!
--and I think thats it....I do have a layout of how I want my tank...BUT:
once again the herbivorous ones. I CAN N-O-T get rid of those fish because they are the love of my life.....and I could never replace them....BTW: i do plan to get another ACF for Nazgul my albino!

So would a sword(ozelot), hornwort, java moss and fern, dwarf sag, anuabias, etc....work with those monsters? please give me any ideas you might have and thanks for replying!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 01:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
that tank is a bit too small for a goldfish... a fancy goldfish needs a 29 gal with 10 gal to themselves. you might want to upgrade.

as for your monsters i don't think they are quite as destructive as you'd think. if you get hardy fast growing plants and supplement your buddy's diets with algae wafers (i've heard goldfish especially like hikari algae wafers) they won't destroy your plants... they'll just nibble on them a little but the wafers are much tastier so it shouldn't be too bad. if you're really worried about it you could give your plants a head start by starting a new tank (a good opportunity to upgrade) and don't add the fish until the plants are well established.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I actually was thinking about upgrading my tank to 16G but hopefully I can find a big, cheap tank...until then...yea.....I do have hikari algea wafers...and he doesnt even TOUCH them! the mystery snail LOVES them though!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Would you eat spam if you had fresh steak available? Or canned peas if there was a garden of fresh vegetables to choose from? Yeah, didn't think so.

Can't blame them, can you?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No...and I dont sorry I might be off for a whuile as my computer is having a lot of troubles...... :-(
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 02:21 AM
Algae Grower

i wouldn't compare it to spam and steak. more like oreos or fresh organic oatmeal cookies. most kids will go for the oreos, like most fish will go for the wafers, but some know better. in that case fresh zucchini might do the trick. oranges too, goldies love oranges.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My goldfish eats anything I put in....he loves grapes, and peas, and brocolli....so he's ok....Im still worried about the mystery snail, he loves zucinni but will eat anything he gets.....Unless it is tore up...he only eats the GOOD plants But i love him.....Later I will draw up an idea of the layout and posting the specific items I want!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Algae Grower

look for plants that are described as 'tough' or 'fast growing'. i've heard Crinum thaianum is actually tough enough to be kept with herbivorous cichlids.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My new idea is to:
--Keep the rocks (the big pebbles) and plant the plants in pretty; new clay pots with soil and a layer of gravel....I am Also thinking about replacing my blue, clear and purple rocks with just clear, green, red, and black....If the blue & purple fit in...that'd be cool to! I also plant to:
--Still upgrade to an aquaclear 30 (saw it was 28$ in my catalouge)
--Clean the rock bed and replace & add new rocks!
--add another 10W CF bulb!
--Redo bubbles
--store all ornaments and fake plants (and dead\dying\unused equiptment)
--replace air pump
--Buy Hikari Oranda goldfish pellets for my fantail (hig quality!)
--Buy MORE tetra reptimen

Also...included so I dont forget to add this to my list:
--Get my 2 1\2 G hex a new light w\ bulb!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode