Question about CO 2 BPS - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question about CO 2 BPS

I recently bought C02 Natural plant system from nutrafin. I hooked it up and the next day it started working. The third day it was producing about 1 bubble per 5 seconds. I noticed that all my fish were not as active and my three guppies where up on the top of the tank gasping for air.. I took it off and my fish started to be active aswell as my guppies. My water parameters are great so I knew that the C02 was the problem. I just bought a check valve to add in between the airline tube. So my question is how many bubbles per second should it be producing? This is for a 65 gallon tank.. Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I really doubt that one bubble every five seconds will change CO2 levels in a 65gal tank at all. I mean you should check and monitor the pH of your tank water when injecting CO2, still, very unlikely that your fish noted any CO2 or pH variation.

But if it leads to such drastic results, maybe CO2 isn't for your fish at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
I really doubt that one bubble every five seconds will change CO2 levels in a 65gal tank at all. I mean you should check and monitor the pH of your tank water when injecting CO2, still, very unlikely that your fish noted any CO2 or pH variation.

But if it leads to such drastic results, maybe CO2 isn't for your fish at all.
+1 on what Wasserpest said.

1 bubble every 5 seconds is 0.2 bps. I'm running around 3-4 bps on a 40 gallon breeder just fine.

How's your water movement? Maybe there's dead spots of high concentrations of CO2 in your tank. Just a thought...try adding a powerhead or two to more evenly distribute the dissolved gases in your tank. Or move the outflow of your filter to get better flow throughout the tank.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

I have two filters which are rated for 70 gallons in my 65 gallon tank so their is definately plenty of movement. My ph has been 6.0 even with the CO2 on. I dont know what else it could possibly be.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 04:05 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Sorry, don't have a good explanation at the moment. PH 6 is pretty low, but not uncommon with soft water (low kH). With very soft water, there is sometimes a danger of "crashing" the pH, which might lead to fish showing the behaviour you are describing.

But if the pH is 6 with or without CO2 injection, then that isn't the case.

Not sure what to tell you... Guppies sometimes like a bit harder water, with a pH around 7 (neutral). But still, if they do alright without the CO2 I wouldn't start to fuzz with the pH. Weird.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 06:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Is this a yeast system? Does it use a ladder, or a diffuser, or a reactor?

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
Is this a yeast system? Does it use a ladder, or a diffuser, or a reactor?
Its made by nutrafin and it comes in a canister which I attach an airline tube to the nozzle and I guess you can all it a diffuser. Yes its a yeast system.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 04:15 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
I really doubt that one bubble every five seconds will change CO2 levels in a 65gal tank at all.
I agree, and he himself verified this since his pH didnt change. CO2 drops pH, and generally speaking it takes about a full point drop to equal 30ppm which is the generally accepted safe point for your fish, but this would not be until you were around a pH of 5.0. Usually a yeast based setup isnt going to amount to much on a tank this size, unless your doing it yourself with like a couple gallon jugs. Its still puzzling about the fish though...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

I just figured out what the problem was. At the same time that I started the C02 I had started using BClear to cure my cloudiness in my tank. I stopped using the c02 and ran out of Bclear at the same time. So I had changed my water and added the BClear that I bought. Within ten minutes my fish started hanging out at the top of the tank not being active. Definately not the C02..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I would never recommend using a product like bclear (whatever that is) to "clarify" water. It is better to figure out what is causing the cloudiness and correct that issue.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode