Help with driftwood placement....pics - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Help with driftwood placement....pics

I have been soaking my driftwood and it's about time to place it into the tank. I am trying for a root type look on both sides. I want it to look natural and not 'placed'. The tank is a 150g extra high. Here is what I am thinking....

The cardboard it is sitting on is the footprint of my tank. For height comparison the line on the garage door is 21.5" high. From the top of my substrate to the water line is approx. 27". Here is the tank it is going in:

When the two sets of wood are finalized shape wise I am thinking about connecting them with brown zip ties. That way it is not permanent. I will place moss or other pants around the zip ties so they can't be seen. Let me know what you guys think. I have plenty of other wood that is soaked so I can swap pieces out if something looks awkward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hmm.. if that tank is a 150g, then those pieces of DW are massive!

For some reason I feel that if you want to make the wood arrangement natural, then there's no point using plastic zip ties to hold them together.

how about something like this w/ zip ties?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:28 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Do you plan to cover the ties w/ moss?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
It just looks too symmetrical to me, I think it might look more natural if it were only one 'tree stump with roots' and the other parts serving to lengthen the roots of the one on the right. Right now there are two focal points, I'm not sure at which I'm supposed to look.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yeah, if I use ties than they will get covered with moss so you can't see them. Dekstr, interesting idea laying down the wood instead of sitting it up. What do others think about that? By the way all this driftwood is from badcopnofishtank and I can't be any more pleased than I am with it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Personally, I prefer to have the tips go up. Most plants cover the bottom and only the top part shows. It just feels more natural to me to have the branches reaching up and out (like a tree, I guess).

I second indiboi's comments. Instead of making it symmetrical, it's better if you make it intentionally off center. The "golden" focal point has been found to be most pleasing to the eye about 1/3 of the way from the side. That's where the "base" of the branches should start coming out. The plants should also focus on that area, drifting off from there.

So when you look at it, your eye is immediately drawn to that area 1/3 from the left (or right), and then your eye will gradually drift off to explore the rest of the tank. It tells the eyes where to start. Like reading a book. You have to know where the first word is. You can't read all the words at the same time. With your decor, you have to give the viewer's eye a place to start. That's the focal point. Otherwise, you'll be trapped trying to look at everything all at once, making the whole thing feel chaotic and unsettling.

As far as the "golden" 1/3 placement, it's just a nice balance (I know there's more to it, but I'm not going there). Odd numbers are comfortable in nature. Three trees feel better than two. Two feels staged. Even one is better than two. Two make a row. Nature isn't symmetrical, but it is balanced.

Easier said than done, however.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The arrangement I did was kind of random on the fly lol. I considered using only one side of the branches but then realized, what would you do w/ the other half? So I made up some random arrangement that fit both all the branches.

BTW I also got branches from badcopnofishtank, pretty happy about it too.

I'd have to partially agree with the symmetry issue. Generally, things in odd numbers work well, but I feel it depends on your placement / arrangement as well. For example, a staggered two piece might be better than a symmetrical three piece. BTW, complexity, just teasing, but AFAIK trees also don't have feelings , did you mean personal preference (or I just misread lol)?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 07:32 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Maybe glue (aquarium epoxy or silicone) them together instead of the zip ties.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode