Looking for book recommendations - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Looking for book recommendations

I would like at least one book that has a good, basic listing of the common aquatic plants, along with large, clear pictures of the plants, simple icons regarding light, height, growth rate, co2, etc. with a general description of the plant's personality.

I'm not looking for a 300lb bible of all plants aquatic! I'm looking for a beginner's book. Something very basic, but still informative enough to help a person have some idea of whether the plant may work in their tank or not.

The internet is a fabulous resource which I use constantly. However, I would still like to have a book that I can mark, flag, comment, write, highlight, dogear, drag to LFS, and whatever else I want to do while I begin the process of trying to learn the various plants. All I know about are java moss, java fern, anubias, and a few others along that line. I'm know squat! Well, that's not entire true. I am gaining experience with algae.

If anyone knows of any books like this, please let me know. My current and future plants would thank you so much.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Try this: Plant Guide. It's not a book, but it does have all the info you're looking for and its free.

Mr. Aqua 12 gal Long
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Thank you, gsd78! I've bookmarked it. Looks like a great resource!

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Personally, for your request, I like:

Encyclopdeia of Aquarium Plants

and the 'mini' edition
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

evercl92, thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for.

I bought the first one, but I couldn't tell if the mini edition was just a repeat or if it had additional info. Or if it was just a more compact version that can more easily be taken on the go, such as to the LFS. By chance, do you know the differences of the two books?

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have the 'mini' edition, but I'd checked the bigger out at the library before.

As I recall, it's pretty much the same info, just compact size. The bigger book may have had more info on background of setting up a planted tank, design, etc.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Okay, thanks!

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
The reviews on Tropica's "Book" seem to be exactly what you're looking for plant wise, its got tons of plants and growing requirements.

I think its around $20.

I haven't seen it personally though, besides online.

-Andrew
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.tropica.com/default.asp

It took me a bit to figure it out (didn't know about Tropica.com). Was it an author's last name, a publisher? I finally found the .dk site, and managed to mangle my way to the .com site.

Having done all that, YES, this is what I want! Thank you! LOL!

It's especially nice that you can get it in print to carry to the LFS but also have it online for free!

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 09:07 PM

Diana Walstad Ecology Of The Planted Aquarium

Her ideas are great for most plants in a display aquarium. The chapter on aleopathy was very interesting and explained a few weird occurances.

The only negs are that this approach just doesn't work for a lot of finicky plants, or if you are propigating for commercial enterprise. And the price tag is unbeleivable especially when the paper quality is inferior and there are no supporting photographs.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Thank you! I think it might be a little off the track from what I'm wanting right now, but it sounds like it has some interesting information for a good read later one.

Right now, I'm just wanting to get some ability to even recognize a plant when I see it. I don't want to have people in LFSs tell me that riccia is "another type of java moss" with me being too ignorant to know it's not even a moss.

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 09:24 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium, by Diana Walstad
Aquarium Plants, the Practical Guide, by Pablo Teapot
The Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants, by Peter Hiscock.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode