Java ferns growing tentacles!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Java ferns growing tentacles!!!

Hi there. So I have a few java ferns in my little Fluval Spec aquarium. They are sprouting tons of brown fibers that I believe might be rhizomes from what I've read. They've been present for a few months now and continue to become thicker and thicker. I think I read somewhere that eventually the leaves will turn brown and fall off, and that I can plant the dead leaf with rhizomes to grow even more ferns. However, the leaves don't seem to be dying, just getting hairier and hairier. Anyone got any pointers on how I should manage these things? Should I trim them or just leave them the heck alone? Photo attached... thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Completely normal. I've always let it run it's course and ended up with more java fern.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Hyrule View Post
Completely normal. I've always let it run it's course and ended up with more java fern.
Thanks! Good to know. Is it correct that they will eventually fall off and I'll need to plant the babies?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

just place a small rock or something next to the area thats growing all the roots to hold it down. it will attach itself to the wood or whatever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Mine float around and attach to everything.. What starts as a little piece of what you think might be dying matter turns into a bush attached to a piece of driftwood in no time. I got a small piece accidentally in a shipment of plants, I now have good quantities in 8 tanks from that small bit.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

55 gal heavy planted low tech south American tank
38 gal bow front live bearer tank
20 gal Marineland led brackish puffer tank
14 gal cf newly planted
10 gal Marineland led low tech low light
10 gal Marineland led qt tank
6 gal snail breeder
5 gal fluval chi dust collector
3 gal beta tank
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
lol Those "brown fibers" are actually its roots not the rhizome. The rhizome is that green horizontal structure underneath the leaves and above the roots. Java fern propagate by growing plantlets on new leaves. It's pretty neat. You will see what I mean soon.

By the way, nice looking java fern. it looks healthy and strong. good job

EDIT: on a second look, you already have plantlets growing from other java fern leaves. Nevermind, I thought that it was a mature plant. I honestly, do not know what to do here. You can either leave it or cut off the leaf that its growing on and plant it somewhere. I'm not sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 08:44 PM
Planted Member

I'm over run with the stuff; the plant I have was given to me in 1997 and all the Java I have is from that initial rhizome. That plantlet will probably pop of by just giving the smallest of tugs. When I want it to spread I trim up the roots a bit and then just tie it with some black cotton thread to some wood or something. And off it goes...

One other thought, even if you don't want it to spread either remove the plantlet or trim the roots. Otherwise they can become wrapped around the leaves and stems and if they start trying to attach there it will tear up your leaves.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-24-2014 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks all for the replies! Super helpful. I can't wait to deliver more fern babies into this world. :B

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode