red veins on new sword growth - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
red veins on new sword growth

New leaves have very pronounced reddish brown veins. A few of the leaves are somewhat thin and translucent. None are yellow though. Does anyone have any ideas about what deficiency this could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 06:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
I'm not sure, but if you're dosing EI you shouldn't have any deficiencies. It can take plants a couple of weeks to adjust to a new dosing routine. Since you mentioned it was new, it's possible it was emersed and is now adjusting to being submersed.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

This is embarrassing, but I must admit I had my tank running (with the same high wattage!) with no Co2 (well some DIY Co2 for about 3 months) and no ferts (except for once over a two week period that ended in algae) for over a year and wondered why things weren't growing right. That's why I got on the forum. I had no idea what I was doing. I thought and was told by the LFS "add light and your plants will grow". Anyway, I have only started dosing ferts in the last two weeks, so it's not enough time for the slow growers to show improvement. But I think you're right that if I keep up the EI, all the deficiencies will stop soon. The plant itself is not new. I just had to pull all the leaves off b/c of damage. It's growing new ones now.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Oh, my bad, it didn't register that you said 'new growth' and not 'new plant.'

Patience is one thing that becomes more and more valuable with these sorts of tanks ,which is why I think so many folks say "well, that didn't work" and similar, or blame something on a seemingly random change, it's just because they didn't give what they did do enough time to actually work. I'm guilty of that too, making one change and giving it a week just isn't enough time usually.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
Oh, my bad, it didn't register that you said 'new growth' and not 'new plant.'

Patience is one thing that becomes more and more valuable with these sorts of tanks ,which is why I think so many folks say "well, that didn't work" and similar, or blame something on a seemingly random change, it's just because they didn't give what they did do enough time to actually work. I'm guilty of that too, making one change and giving it a week just isn't enough time usually.
Patience - what's that? I'm only just starting to do things halfway right, so I guess it will be a while b/f my plants start looking halfway nice. Actually, they are looking pretty good considering. I need to borrow my friend's digital camera and upload some photos. Anyway, I was just curious what would cause the veins to look so reddish.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
It is just normal growth for some swords, like Amazons (you have those?). The red veins are the plants response to the improved conditions. Expect to have them showing in the new leaves from now on (they go green in the older ones, just like most of the red hybrid swords: new leaves red, older ones green).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Oh - I had no idea. It's an amazon sword. Leave it to me to worry about something that's actually a good sign!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, not all the strains of the Amazon swords show these red veins - at least not always. I myself kinda like them.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 01:24 AM
Algae Grower

I was just watching a new leaf on my sword doing the same thing over the last five days and today the veins turned green. Glad to see that its normal/healthy.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode