Cleaner shrimps in hawaii - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cleaner shrimps in hawaii

I need help finding cleaner shrimps in Hawaii. Due to agricultural import laws i am not sure what types i can find, if any in hawaii. If there are any other fellow islanders that can point me to a shop that would be great. I've checked petland and pets discount, pets plus (didn't have at the time.) What species should i look for? What about opae from the stream?

I have a 10g with loaches, danios, plecos, catfish, green barbs and rosy barbs.

jungle val, swords, and microswords.

ugly mixed gravel and no CO2

I hope to get rid of the UGF and ugly gravel and replace with fluorite in the next few months (i'll keep a bag of old gravel in there to help with the bacteria replacement.

I know the loaches, danios, catfish and plecos need a bigger tank and the vals and swords will probably outgrow the tank also...but my wife bought them so until i donate them back to the lfs i'm just trying to keep them healthy and happy. and yes i am trying to inform her of the proper flora and fish for the tank.

I know the loaches and catfish eat the feeder shrimps and snails but are there any types of shrimp that will survive in the plants with them?

Thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
The term "cleaner shrimp" is generally synonymous with marine tanks. You are looking for fresh water shrimp correct?

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yes looking for fresh water shrimp...any common ones to look out for?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
hey brah,

the "glass"/"feeder" shrimp sold in most stores (petland, modern, pets plus) are wild versions of the red cherry shrimp. they are opae from streams.

yes, we cannot import any inverts to hawaii, a very good law, imho.

a word of caution, i think the barbs will try to eat the shrimp. they do better with tetras and smaller livebearers.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks..i did buy a batch of feeder shrimp for this tank and they did their job...by feeding my fish..hehehehe...was wondering if i can get any other types of shrimp? i noticed on the dlnr website there's like 3 different types of opae...some are 2 in long..i think that may be too big...but i was thinking of raising the glass opae to be a bit too big for the barbs to eat...*shrug* i was just gonna go down to the ala wai and go catch some of those glass opae we use for bait when we go oama fishing...but if anyone knows of any other types of shrimp available in hawaii for aquariums that would be awesome.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
i heard the shrimp from the streams can have parisites.just buy the cleaner shrimp from the lfs.
btw i got some flourite in not using.probably enough for a 10 gal. if you want it its yours.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Algae Grower

i'm an entomologist from Hawaii, new to the PT hobby. I was interested in keeping native opae (and o'opu) in too, but i've read that they all need to spend a few months in the ocean as part of their life cycle. Sounds too complex for my setups! The non-native "red cherry shrimp" are the most common shrimp in the streams, at least in the more accessible lower reaches of streams. I've had good luck keeping them and breeding them in my aquaria and outdoor water garden tubs, without large fish. I'm setting up a new planted tank, and was thinking of starting with shrimp, amphipods, and any other invertebrates I can find in the streams, then introducing smaller fish once the inverts are pretty well established. I'm planning to provide lots of artificial burrows and caves, in the form of bottles and vials buried in the substrate. I put silicon mixed with substrate around the rims of the vials/bottles to make them look like natural burrows, and then bury them. I've done this in the past for loaches, but I'm thinking it will provide good hiding places for inverts as well, along with lots of plants, rocks and branches. We'll see.
Will
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 01:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Opae can live in fresh water but do much better in slight salt water. They do need full strength salt water to breed though, kind of like amano shrimp. I've bred them once but was just too lazy too keep up with a sw tank.

The feeder shrimp in the stores can easily be bred. I've done it in a bucket with a sponge filter. They were pretty prolific at breeding once you get a nice healthy stock. For me, they turned a more brown than the red that they are known for. Yes they are just wild rcs. Worked out great when i was into cichlids and stuff. I've actually seen them in streams at the bottom of the pali and the pond at the bottom of the palisades trail. Got some nice driftwood there too.

There are a bunch of local people here that have rcs and crs if that is what you are looking for. I was told that the lfs on ward ave(Pets Plus?) were selling some.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesm View Post
hey brah,

the "glass"/"feeder" shrimp sold in most stores (petland, modern, pets plus) are wild versions of the red cherry shrimp. they are opae from streams.
The glass/feeder shrimp sold in most stores are Palaemonetes Paludosus, is not in any way a wild Cherry Shrimp. Wild Red Cherry shrimps are Neocaridina Heteropoda.

Ghost shrimp info:
http://www.planetinverts.com/ghost_g...ss_shrimp.html

Red Cherry shrimp info:
http://www.planetinverts.com/Red%20Cherry%20Shrimp.html

Sorry pimptempura.. I have no idea what shrimps might be available. If you can get ahold of ghost shrimp, they are excellent cleaners.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
feeder shrimp in Hawaii is different from the glass shrimp in the states. and as everyone mentioned before they are neo heteropoda. they have been established/invasive in Hawaii for decades (i have a breeding colony still going strong from the late 80's). our mild climate and lack of direct competition in streams means they have pushed out the natives. the feeders in stores are caught in streams locally and are tough as nails. but also may carry parasites as they are wild. they tollerate varied water conditions much better than RCS or any other hetero. that said, they are NOT very good algae cleaners if that is what your looking for. they are great at eating left over food, dead vegetation or even dead fish, but not so effective at algae control. the only algae i have found they eat with gusto is brown diatom.

opae kala'oe is a filter feeder, and is the most common of the natives still accessable. though you wont find them in any numbers in the lower stream sections on Oahu, you need to go into the upper stream areas in the mountains. they are pretty common on the outer islands though and actually are pretty good eating when sauted in butter...

the other natives are pretty big (more like small prawns) and i have yet to see them on Oahu. they need salt water to complete the larval cycle, but on the other hand they live pretty long (longest i had one was almost 4 years).

Hawaii quarantine laws basically ban any and all inverts into the state, the only exceptions are for research (universities/labs) and even then they need to file a ton of paperwork and get import permits (i asked).
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Ah, my bad.. different place, different name. Sorry, didn't mean to be too matter-of-fact
Kinda cool you can catch them wild locally though.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
yeah, hard to picture people on the mainland paying more than a buck each. here they are 8-10 for a dollar......

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode