quick cleaning tip? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
quick cleaning tip?

Hey guys.. tank is finally ready for plants..should be delivered any day now.
Co2 is set up and ready to go..

I want to clean the inside glass.. it appears there is a very fine light film on the glass.. easily wiped off.. just want to ask you how you would clean it?

Use an algae sponge or just use a clean cloth and do it with my arm in the tank?

best practice here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 02:47 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I use one of the magnet cleaners. As my tank progresses i will get a scraper for the green algae spots. A regular dish cleaner pad works too.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whjdm069 View Post
I use one of the magnet cleaners. As my tank progresses i will get a scraper for the green algae spots. A regular dish cleaner pad works too.
I never used the magnet scrapers.. you endorse them? Maybe I'll check em out..

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
ihave a magnet scraper and ilike it. does the job at a minimum. but idont have a massive amount of algae on the glass. just small amounts of diatoms and it cleans it right off
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Magnet scrapers are great for GDA. I would not use a green scrubby on an aquarium as I have scratched up glass very badly on accident in the past and acrylic is even more prone.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 06:43 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Magnetic cleaners are good, but make sure no debris (gravel/sand) get stuck between it and the glass.

You'll know when it happens

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 06:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Magnetic cleaners are good, but make sure no debris (gravel/sand) get stuck between it and the glass.

You'll know when it happens
Yup. I stopped using magnetic cleaners awhile ago. It's really not a problem with a lot of substrates but I use Florite for awhile and not only is it sharp, it also can be magnetized and will stick to your cleaner. Scratched a few tanks and any time the magnet got too close to the substrate, I just tossed the thing, got expensive.

I am simple, I do everything but the bottom inch with paper towels. I then get the last inch and any stubborn spots with a plastic card, one that is white is preferred to see (CVS card atm).

Another thing is to clean the glass before things build up. Even on tanks that get very little algae on the glass, where I could go a year without any noticeable algae, I still clean weekly to monthly to avoid stubborn spots. The more often you clean, it's easier and goes more quickly. Cleaning before build up makes life easier, so I try to do once a week.

-Matt

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 07:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
i use magic eraser.

20L My Other Tank: OEBT Shrimp
40B Inlaws Tank: 2 goldfish
75 Main Tank w/ sump: 5 Glossolepis pseudoincisus, 5 Melanotaenia boesemani, 10 Melanotaenia praecox, 5 Melanotaenia lacustris, some cories, a bn pleco and rainbow fish fry
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Yup. I stopped using magnetic cleaners awhile ago. It's really not a problem with a lot of substrates but I use Florite for awhile and not only is it sharp, it also can be magnetized and will stick to your cleaner. Scratched a few tanks and any time the magnet got too close to the substrate, I just tossed the thing, got expensive.

I am simple, I do everything but the bottom inch with paper towels. I then get the last inch and any stubborn spots with a plastic card, one that is white is preferred to see (CVS card atm).

Another thing is to clean the glass before things build up. Even on tanks that get very little algae on the glass, where I could go a year without any noticeable algae, I still clean weekly to monthly to avoid stubborn spots. The more often you clean, it's easier and goes more quickly. Cleaning before build up makes life easier, so I try to do once a week.
I like hype paper towel idea thank you
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I use a single edge razor for glass tanks, handled VERY carefully so it does not dig into the silicone. (I leave a dirty band rather than get next to the silicone).
I do not get good results with magnetic cleaners.
Long handled scrubbers are OK if it is soft debris.

Most of my tanks have Otos or Plecos that pretty much keep things clean.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Algae Grower

The best safe thing to use is a library card/ credit card. Just press the side against the glass and most (if not all) algae will come off (such as green spot algae)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbites View Post
I like hype paper towel idea thank you
Well, it's a super crazy idea, haha. The reason I like it is that there is zero chance of scratching the glass. I have tried various cleaning methods and this one works well, almost everyone has paper towels, and it's easy, assuming your tank isn't large. All the fancy tools are good for larger tanks, don't get me wrong but on small tanks, it seems like they make them harder. On my friend's 90 gallon, he has all sorts of tools that make a lot more sense than my 30 inch tanks and smaller.

-Matt

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Algae Grower

I was looking at one of those yellow/green kitchen sponges the other day. Says right on the packaging "not for aquarium use". I prefer one of the handled scrapers/scouring pads.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode