i had a problem, whats next? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Tio

PTrader: (0/0%)
i had a problem, whats next?

i have live plants in my tank something just went through my tank killing all but one mollie.think it was fin rot and ich tried treating but did not help.now i want to start over ,what do i do with the plants i have how do i know there is nothing on them that will reinfect any new fish added.can i some how steralize the plants?it seems so strange that all my platties, tetras and pleco died yet the only mollie i had survived and never seemed affected.tough little guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 04:11 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry about the fish loss. Most illnesses/deaths are usually caused by poor water conditions, fish stress, etc.

How long has the tank been running? If the tank isn't fully cycled, ammonia and nitrite levels raise/drop frequently. Once the tank has cycled, these levels drop to 0.

How long have you had the fish? If the fish are new, then the increased bioload could have increased the ammonia and nitrite levels.

If the fish are new, how did you acclimate the fish? If the fish are not properly acclimated, the shock of the water temp, water parameters, etc. could have stressed to fish.

How often do you perform WC (Water changes) and/or gravel vacs. Performing water changes will help reduce the ammonia and nitrite levels.

Do you use a dechlorinator? Some water systems contain chlorine/chloramine. Chlorine can kill the nitrifying bacteria found in the tank, not to mention, is dangerous to fish. Using a dechlorinator (Prime is suggested) will help remove the chlorine. FYI, use a chlorine test kit to test your tap water to see if it contains chlorine. It may not be necessary to use a dechlorinator.

What kind of equipment are you running?

Quote:
i have how do i know there is nothing on them that will reinfect any new fish added.can i some how steralize the plants?it seems so strange that all my platties, tetras and pleco died yet the only mollie i had survived and never seemed affected.tough little guy.
Ich is a parasite, which requires a living hosts. Ich cannot survive from a plant. If the molly does not show any signs of ich, then it does not have it. Ich's life cycle, is a couple of days.

I would wait about a week or so, before adding any more fish. Make sure you keep up with the maintenance of the tank.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Tio

PTrader: (0/0%)
tankwas over 6 months old most fish were close to that .i introduced three large fin tetras which may have been sick about three weeks ago.water always good a bit hard thats about it.water changes done 1/3 a week plus stress coated added at water changerunning tank at 82-84 to help get rid of ich plus frequent water changes i have added a bubbler for now to help with oxygen level because of the higher water temp.i now have a quaritine tank for all new fish before they go near my big tank,how long do you think i should leave them in there 1 month? before moving

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode