CO2 injection practices - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 injection practices

Hello,

I read so many different ways to get the CO2 into the tank, reactors, diffusion glass, membranes etc. here is what I see

1. reactors may require an additional pump (powerhead etc), or inline with my canister.
2. Diffusion method does not require an additional pump in the tank, no additional electrical needs etc

Have i missed anything? What other things should I consider when deciding on a method and device. This will be a 72 gal system, and I will use a contoller.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
What kind of filter do you have? If you have a canister then inline reactor is a very nice way to go.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to shwerm601
inlinecanister keeps mre junk out of the tank

My 29 gallon planted:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Excellent Article written by one of out lovely moderators here... Tazcrash69.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Have any of you guys tried to used AM 1000 with the Pro Magnum 350? I also trying to decide witch reactor should i get.

Thanks!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Don't buy a reactor, you can make one out of PVC yourself for practically pocket change compared to that AM 1000.

I prefer glass diffusers on smaller aquariums, under 25 gallons, but anything 55 or larger I think a reactor is the better choice. Larger than 125 or so and you probably want to look into venturi injection.

That is indeed an excellent article linked to above.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
What size is your tank? It would be cheaper to build your own, but sometimes, it's hard to find the parts (particularly the hose barbs). If you can't find them, you can pm Rex Grigg or Orlando on this forum, they both build regulators and reactors.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez_316us View Post
Have any of you guys tried to used AM 1000 with the Pro Magnum 350?
That's exactly my setup, but I don't use the Magnum for my main filtration.

My main filter is a Fluval 405, no other equipment inline on it. I was driving the AM1000 reactor plus a TurboTwist UV inline on the Magnum, but took out the UV recently.

Since it's not my main filter, I only run floss in the Magnum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
Don't buy a reactor, you can make one out of PVC yourself for practically pocket change compared to that AM 1000.
A lot of people like the DIY reactors. I bought my AM1000 before I found the DIY instructions, but I have to say that the AM1000's "burp valve" is occasionally nice to have. I haven't seen a DIY design that incorporates a burp valve. Also, I don't need a bubble counter - since the AM1000 is clear, I can count the bubbles as they enter the reactor.

Could somebody who mists/diffuses their CO2 speak to the effect of all those little tiny CO2 bubbles on a drop checker? Seems to me it would cause the checker to give elevated readings if the bubbles get inside.

Regards,
Mike
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnusualSuspect View Post
A lot of people like the DIY reactors. I bought my AM1000 before I found the DIY instructions, but I have to say that the AM1000's "burp valve" is occasionally nice to have. I haven't seen a DIY design that incorporates a burp valve. Also, I don't need a bubble counter - since the AM1000 is clear, I can count the bubbles as they enter the reactor.
that is simple my man. Airline tubing with a shutoff valve. Just have to make sure the airline can reach above the tank water level or you'll get a face full of water.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 01:34 AM

hehe - yep, I didn't say it was difficult to do, just that I hadn't seen a DIY design that includes one.

Mike
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
I think because it's not all that necessary. It's easy enough to flip the reactor when one has allowed it to go 'dry' and then it has a big air bubble. If the bubble is the CO2, then it'll just diffuse over the course of the lights off period, no need to waste it to the atmosphere directly.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode