Need advice on planning my nano
Okay, I've ordered some equipment and hopefully by Monday I'll be able to start setting this sucker up. Here are the specs:
Tank: 2.5 gallon JBJ picotope
Light: 13W CF fixture, either 6700 or 7200 kelvin
Filtration: As yet undecided, probably an HOB rated for 10 gallons.
Substrate: Fluorite (I wanted to go with ada aquasoil but this was practically free so I figured I'd give it a try since I've never used either).
CO2: As yet undecided. Should I rig a DIY C02 or use this "excel" supplement I keep hearing about?
Misc: Also have a miniature powerhead coming if it will help at all on this setup, not sure how vital they are in FW nanos.
So here are my questions:
1. I've got a 5.2 watts/gallon ratio, and the fixture is on an adjustable neck so I should be able to have it sit pretty low to the water surface. Is this going to be enough light to do some kind of carpet-like groundcover?
2. Assuming the answer to #1 is yes, what should I do? Glosso? HC? Something I'm unfamiliar with?
3. What should I do about carbon/CO2? Rig a DIY, just dose excel, something else?
4. Will an HOB provide adequate flow in a FW pico system or should I add a small powerhead with a flow rate in the 25-50 GPH range?
5. If I rig a CO2 system, can I have it feed in through the powerhead? The one I ordered has a tube feed adjacent to the outflow (if that makes sense).
Thanks in advance for any info. I've had some mixed success with SW nanos but I'm new to the planted tank world.