confused about EI targets with liquids - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
confused about EI targets with liquids

I am using up my liquid ferts b/f I start my dry.

I'm using this as a target:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=36131

My question is does this mean you add enough ferts to create this level every time you add ferts (3X per week)? Or does this mean you are trying to get this level by the end of the wk b/f the water change? Or - am I totally and completely off? That could explain the green water!!!

I'm using this to know how much liquid to add to raise ferts by a certain degree:

http://www.fishfriend.com/fertfriend.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
I really, really suggest not worrying about levels and such. The whole point of EI is for dosing to be simple, if you want over-complication then PPS-Classic is your game, hehe. The reason behind the 50% water change is to remove leftovers without having to worry about just how much was leftover.

I, really, really suggest following this, just dose those amounts and you'll be fine. Once you have gained the experience to really know how your aquarium is handling the fertilization program then you can start tweaking.

That link to AQ isn't a list of recommendations, either daily, 3X weekly, etc, nor is it a suggested level to maintain things at, it's just one person asking if it is correct, without any explanation of what the numbers meant, ignore it.

If you prefer to dose using liquids, then mix up the solution per these directions and dose as indicated.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
I, really, really suggest following this, just dose those amounts and you'll be fine...If you prefer to dose using liquids, then mix up the solution per these directions and dose as indicated.
Thanks for your response. I see your point about not making it hard! I do plan to use the first resource when I use up my Seachem products, but not until then. The second resource you gave (glad to have in now BTW) is for making your own liquids out of dry ferts. However, I am needing to use up my Seachem liquids, which will produce very different concentrations of ferts than making your own liquid.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

In that case I recommend this calculator. It has the Flourish products, you can correlate the dry amounts as listed in the first link into PPM for your size tank, and then correlate those into how much Flourish NPK you need to add, but that's more like just dumping a whole bottle in for a 75 gallon.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
In that case I recommend this calculator. It has the Flourish products, you can correlate the dry amounts as listed in the first link into PPM for your size tank, and then correlate those into how much Flourish NPK you need to add, but that's more like just dumping a whole bottle in for a 75 gallon.
That's what I use fertfriend for. I'll check that one out too. I need to register on that site first. Thanks. You're right about dumping a whole bottle in, but that's fine by me. I want to use it up so I can start doing the dry method- simpler in some ways I think!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Fertfriend is about useless compared to the Fertilator, though in the defense of Fertfriend, it does breakdown components of Flourish, & Equilibrium into constituent ppm, something that Fertilator doesn't do.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Fertfriend is about useless compared to the Fertilator, though in the defense of Fertfriend, it does breakdown components of Flourish, & Equilibrium into constituent ppm, something that Fertilator doesn't do.
Yeah, that's the only reason I use it. I am glad you told me where to find the Fertilator - I've heard people mention it on the board several times.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode